Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In about a month time ( after 10 weeks wait already) I will be collecting my new MiTo 1.4 16V 95bhp. I'm getting a car as a part of scrappage scheme giving back my 10 y.o. Peugeot 206 HDi 2.0 Turbo Diesel (90bhp - when new) . Im not a person who looks for speed thrills but I'm relatively happy with the performance of my Peug.. Speeding up while going up the hill is not a problem.
The main reason why I'm getting MiTo is its safety ( Peug has only one air bag) .. and the damn good look.. :D ...
I did had a test drive but because it was in a central London it wasn't really possible to give it a go.. Now I'm a bit scared that in comparesment with the Peug I might be disappointed with MiTo's performance...... what do you guys think :confused:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I scrapped my 2.0L V6 FTO for a 95bhp Mito and im happy with it.

Doesnt have the top range power of the FTO but still very nippy to say its 80bhp less than the FTO.

I think youll be happy

·
Registered
44,882 Posts
I changed from a 147hp, 20v Fiat to the Mito, I'm very happy, if you want a little sporty driving stick the DNA into D and away you go.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
i had a 200bhp jag but am having more fun in the 95bhp mito, it weighs so little (just over a ton) that you don't need power, put it in 'd' mode and look for some empty 'b' roads, it's addictive

·
Registered
694 Posts
I've not really encountered any scenario where I felt like I needed more power, a few times where it would have been nice to have more but I've never struggled to get up to speed.

According to Parker's the 95bhp MiTo is faster to 60mph on paper anyway, though it has two-thirds of the torque of the 206 2.0 diesel.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
I think the torque to weight ratio of the Pug will make it feel squicker at times, so you'll just need to get used to thrashing the MiTo!

·
Vendor
46,600 Posts
You'll need to stir the gearbox a bit more to get acceleration especially when on the motorway in comparison to the Pug, but I think you'll enjoy the revvieness of it.

Have you ordered it in Yellow? :cool:

·
Registered
694 Posts
It doesn't have a hill climb setting. It has a hill start system that leaves the brakes applied for a bit after you take your foot off the pedal so you can set off on a hill without using the handbrake, but that's on all the time regardless of DNA mode.

·
Registered
735 Posts
This is just a matter of driving style. You will have to get used to its petrol nature. It will go even better than the 206, you just need to learn that all the power is above 3-4k rpm.

I had a lot of experiences with VW 1.9 TDi 110 bhp and my petrol 147 with 105 bhp is always quicker when you floor them both. Its just that TDi seems way more powerful in everyday use, because of the torque.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I think the mito will feel much faster, as the petrol engine is lighter than the 2.0 diesel, and also in brand new condition it should be performing more efficiently than a 10 year old car.
However the 120bhp turbo version is noticeably faster than the 95bhp non-turbo engine, so you should consider that if it is in your budget (maybe consider swapping some options for the bigger engine)

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
The engine may feel a bit tight to start with. When we asked the dealer about running in he said you don't need to but they notice a big difference in performance after 1000 miles .. almost as if the ECU was programmed to hold back a bit ...

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
I went from driving a 2.0 litre (147bhp) Fiesta ST and while the 95bhp MITO doesn't have the 'kick' in the lower gears it certainly doesn't feel much slower than the Fiesta when in 'D' mode. There's not much guts in the engine really, but it is not disappointing at all.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I went from a 2.0l 156, I'm not dissapointed with it but i wish i had the money 4 the 120bhp. But i drive my 15year old Transit everyday so when i get in my black beauty at the weekends, It feels like a supercar..:lol:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I went from a 240bhp AWD Scooby miss it like fcuk, but it was a cost cutting exercise and went for the 95. It will keep up but hasn't the grunt to get past.

·
Registered
238 Posts
the 95bhp performance is not great, and we def should have got the turbo version in hindsight. When we were buying it they didnt have an 95's to test drive anywhere so we bought it a little blind. Fine for popping to the shops, but gets a little tiresome if you have to drive any distance in it.

Does anyone else suffer from a sort of flat spot low down the revs in 2nd gear? As though you have gone to 4th by mistake if you know what I mean!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts