Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend, I changed my HT leads and thermostat. The car seemed to be running better.
Well, on my way to work, there is an uphill stretch of dual-carraigeway off a roundabout. Last week, and previously, booting it up this stretch of road, I could get about 80-85mph before having to slow as I join the jammed motorway traffic. This week, I have been able to easily hit 95mph on this same stretch of road. I'm backing off at about the same place as previously. I couldn't believe the changed parts had made such a difference the first day, but getting similar speeds all week has confirmed that the car is now better.

Marlon

·
Registered
632 Posts
Good stuff. How long do the HT leads (what are they ?) and the thermostat usually last ? and are they expensive to replace ?

Might get them done aswell as replacing the plugs soon :)

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The HT leads are the spark plug leads. How long they (and the thermostat) last varies. I replaced the leads 'cos they were brittle and had cracks in the sleeving. I got Champion Triple Silicon leads for £40 for all 8. The proper price for these leads is £72. That is still cheaper than Alfas price of £50 for 4.
You can tell if the thermostat is gone by the temp the car runs at and if the temp fluctuates. The car should run at just below the 90ºC mark and shouldn't really move during driving. My car used to take an age to heat up and the temp it reached depended on how fast I drove and the outside temp !!!
This part cost £25 from Alfa. That's for the 8 valve engine.

Marlon

·
Registered
447 Posts
I've heard about HT leads giving more power from other people too, allthough mine still look good I'm thinking of replacing them.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
greetings bb, do u no the price of the plugs, how many miles on ur car?
alan
- - - - - - - -
keep her clean

·
Registered
632 Posts
I hear the plugs are probably €100 for a good set. As for the leads over here, no idea. I would say the plugs have never been done on my car (it turned over 56,000 miles yesterday woohoo :) )

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My mum's old Uno would run really hesitantly when cold, in damp weather and no garage could ever work out what was wrong with it (probably because it was warm and dry by the time they got it).

In the end I just put some new HT leads on it as it dawned on me they were still the 9-year old ones it had when it was new and they fixed the problem. Hooray!

They only seemed to last two years though. I replaced them with Bosch leads and they have been fine ever since (about 4 years now).

Ralf S.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts