Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had new front discs, braided hoses and a set of performance friction pads fitted at autolusso.

The difference is amazing, and this is on the smaller 305 discs. I haven't had much chance to try them in anger but a quick blast last night they get a :thumbs:

So if you have a gta or other alfa with the 305's and can't afford a big brake upgrade, I would recommend these pads as an alternative.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Agreed. They are on Clare's GT and are excellent and Ned will be fitting them to the Ti in the near future.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Anyone know how they compare to a set of DS2500's ????

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
They work from cold and do not squeal once bedded in:cool:

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They work from cold and do not squeal once bedded in:cool:
Speaking with ned the pads for the 305's will squeal as they are technically a race pad. It isn't that bad though and is a small price to pay for the big jump in brake performance.

To Harry, they are performance friction pads. You can get them through the AO shop or give Ned a shout if you are interested, he's knows a lot about them. There is also a good review that Trailbraker did some time back if you do a search.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Heres a fairly detailed review:

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/tuni...performance-friction-pads-with-telemetry.html

Please note that this review is based only the 330mm z-rated ones, these aren't an extreme race pad per-se.
but still do appear to outperform the DS2500's slightly on track, and more significantly for day to day use.

AFAIK, for the 305mm PF pads there are two options a more extreme one and fast road one,
I think Ned may fit the higher performing race-oriented ones for the 305mm discs, I think I remember him saying that on a thread somewhere, but to be honest my focus was on the 330mm ones.
The 330mm equipped GTAs don't need the more extreme pads (I think they are called PFC01, but could be mistaken).
As it is with the pads that I tested they are capable of really working trackday tyres hard under braking , so are well capable of making your road tyres work to their limits

Cheers,
TB
Anyone know how they compare to a set of DS2500's ????

·
Registered
12,881 Posts

·
Vendor
7,045 Posts
Just had new front discs, braided hoses and a set of performance friction pads fitted at autolusso.

The difference is amazing, and this is on the smaller 305 discs. I haven't had much chance to try them in anger but a quick blast last night they get a :thumbs:

So if you have a gta or other alfa with the 305's and can't afford a big brake upgrade, I would recommend these pads as an alternative.
Thanks for the review Adam, I have to ask, did I leave an 11mm Blue Point spanner in your car or under the bonnet?

Tidying up after you left I could not find it and I am sure I was using it as it is the one that does the brake bleed nipples.

Ned

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Is this on Alfa disk's? Do they do a pad for front/rear 156 SW JTS?

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the review Adam, I have to ask, did I leave an 11mm Blue Point spanner in your car or under the bonnet?

Tidying up after you left I could not find it and I am sure I was using it as it is the one that does the brake bleed nipples.

Ned
I haven't seen it, but will check it out when I get back tonight and let you know.

Again thanks for doing it on a Saturday, getting time of at the moment or even getting away early is impossible at the moment. Guess I should go do some work now, you can tell the boss is off sick :lol::eek:

Also appreciate you taking the time to show me how it all fits together and what usually can go wrong, I would give changine the pads a go myself next time.

·
Vendor
7,045 Posts
I haven't seen it, but will check it out when I get back tonight and let you know.

Again thanks for doing it on a Saturday, getting time of at the moment or even getting away early is impossible at the moment. Guess I should go do some work now, you can tell the boss is off sick :lol::eek:

Also appreciate you taking the time to show me how it all fits together and what usually can go wrong, I would give changine the pads a go myself next time.
Found it, thanks for looking, could not see it for all the clutter. Saturday afternoons are for tidying the workshop not fitting brakes ;)

Ned

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Found it, thanks for looking, could not see it for all the clutter. Saturday afternoons are for tidying the workshop not fitting brakes ;)

Ned
:eek: Sorry about that. Glad you found it though, was just going to reply saying I couldn't find it.

Had to go to my parents last night though and it was peeing down, so gave the brakes a try in the wet. Being able to stop is nice :lol::thumbs:

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good to hear they are better than the Ferodos who makes them??

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
i might give them a go next time i need new pads as i like the idea of better braking performance in everyday driving. i've had ds2500's on for about 18 months and whilst the squealing is very evident i never thought braking performance was massively improved, or at least not as much as i expected it to be. that was, however, until the evo triangle run where i gave the car a proper spanking - the ds2500's were superb, put up with all the punishment i could throw at them and still wanted more. one lap of the triangle i was chasing pabloss & bacon in their gta's and by the end pabloss's brakes were totally and absolutely cooked, the pedal like it was in a bucket of custard. having said that they did have 340bhp to reign in which is a bit more than mine had to:eek:

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i might give them a go next time i need new pads as i like the idea of better braking performance in everyday driving. i've had ds2500's on for about 18 months and whilst the squealing is very evident i never thought braking performance was massively improved, or at least not as much as i expected it to be. that was, however, until the evo triangle run where i gave the car a proper spanking - the ds2500's were superb, put up with all the punishment i could throw at them and still wanted more. one lap of the triangle i was chasing pabloss & bacon in their gta's and by the end pabloss's brakes were totally and absolutely cooked, the pedal like it was in a bucket of custard. having said that they did have 340bhp to reign in which is a bit more than mine had to:eek:
David and Goliath eh? :lol: Mine were still good after Ned pounded them and let me drive back. Just a word of warning before you try them check if Ned has put his seatbelt on :eek: Sorry about that Ned :lol:

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
David and Goliath eh? :lol:
indeed :lol: i thought i did quite well actually given the monstrous power advantage bacon had, never mind pabloss in his rocketship. i managed to keep them in sight all the way round until the last mile or so when they breezed past a slow car but i got stuck behind him for a short while. pabloss's brakes were smoking for a good 15 minutes after we stopped, and his red calipers had turned brown with the heat:eek: mine were still going strong though:thumbs:

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Does pabloss have 305mm discs?
Its quite hard to smoke 330mm ones..
..but easy enough to smoke the 305s.

BTW you really need to do some cool down running after using brakes that hard, 5 min or so at moderate speed with minimal braking.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts