Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Having major problems with my rebuilt engine which my involve taking the head off and skimming\pressure testing.

To make something good out of this i'm looking at changing the camshaft to a performance one such as Colombo & Bariani.

EB Spares told me that there is no point as there are no power gains and problems getting them working, but is this because a remap is also needed? what about reprofiling?

Please let me know your experiences with doing this to a TS. Anything else that i can get done while she's open?

(Ps it already has lightweight flywheel and crank pulley)

Thanks,

Matt!

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
there is a fella on 156.net, Leo175, who has C&B cams fitted with a re-map.

his 1.8 now produces 175bhp, thats 3o to 35 more than standard

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Pat, so they do something then :)

Do you know anywhere that has them in stock?

Matt!

·
Vendor
45,308 Posts
Whats up with your recon engine Matt? Does it still have warranty?

That Laptop is still performing lovely by the way, many thanks :thumbs:

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Filip, although they are £200 cheaper on Gazella (although i wouldnt buy there)

Are the autodelta ones C&B as they also come with a remap for £851.00?

Whats up with your recon engine Matt? Does it still have warranty?

That Laptop is still performing lovely by the way, many thanks :thumbs:
Hi Pud,

Well it was leaking oil and loosing coolant since it was installed (oil apparently just the sump). I use the car for work and was just happy to have it driving to be honest (it had a 6 month warranty and i am sure that the garage would have sorted it - and still would have helped 7 months out of warranty).

The engine runs perfectly and pulls like a train.

It started using more and more water and then recently started getting hotter than usual. Assumed it was the radiator as it was in bad shape but getting a new one installed didnt cure it.

Its now blowing steam out the exhaust badly. Dont want to drive it for fear of killing the Cat so its getting towed to a garage on Monday.

Just a bit annoyed as i have been looking after this engine very well over the year it has been in (ie checking oil weekly and usually letting the car idle and warm up fully before driving). I am sure this is just a one off and i have had bad luck, dont want to point any fingers or question anyones reputation, i am a trader myself, not cars but i know that simple mistakes can be made.

Hopefully will be an easy fix but i'll get a new camshaft in it anyway while its open.

Glad that the laptops going OK!

Matt!

·
Vendor
45,308 Posts
Sounds like head gasket on its way out.. I hope it doesn't cost you too much to fix, is it going back to the place that did the engine first time round?

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No Pud, not gone back to original garage. Its gone to Peak Alfa as they worked wonders with my suspension.

The heads off at the mo and it is leaking into cylinders 3 & 4 - its gone off to get skimmed.

I have just accidently bought medium road cams directly from C&B + the phase tool to fit them perfectly (trying not to let my gf know how much they cost).

Are these TS heads worth porting?

·
Vendor
45,308 Posts
How much are you going to skim off the head? The more you take off, the higher the compression.. ;)

I wonder what the medium road cams will be like. What were your choices, other than medium? I would imagine the head is worth porting, but you should probably give someone like Adie at AHM or Gus at AlfaTune a call, they will know what exactly is and isn't worth doing when it comes to physical engine mods on a TS. Have you still got the balancer shafts turning or are they disconnected?

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Pud,

Lol not bothered how much is taken off as long as its flat :)

Choices were :

Kent Cams - they dont work with a variator so didnt like the idea of removing all that setup as its got a fairly new one on too.

Autodelta - an extra £400 or so but they do come with a remap. I want to custom map it at Red Dot it anyway + they have the rolling roads.

Colombo & Bariani - Road max - Didnt want to push it too far or affect the idling or drivability of the car + not many websites supply them (maybe there is a reason for this).

Colombo & Bariani - Road medium - These are the camshafts i chose, will hopefully give more power lower down the rev range too without having to rev high all the time. Also bought the phase tool to make them fit perfectly made by Mr Bariani :)

I dont think i will disconnect the balancer shafts as i think people have shortened the life of their engine doing this. They must be there for a reason? + will need it as stable as possible as it has a lightened fliywheel and crank pulley as these help remove vibration.

Cheers pud i might give them a call.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi neilandbob,

I had the C&B cams fitted and the head ported and the cars running great. Not using any water or oil now - Peak Alfa did a great job on it.

I can see why people have problems with these cams;

Beforehand my lighweight flywheel and crank pulley made the car much quicker off the line and there was no hesitation below 3000 rpm like ts's are as standard, no sudden burst of power after 3000rpm - pick up was alot more linear.

Now with the cams fitted, the low end is very similar to it was as standard with a burst of power after 3500rpm.

I imagine people using these cams without the flywheel\crank pulley would experience alot of hesitation setting off and this is exactly what was described to me by some suppliers that dont fit these anymore because of complaints.

I havent had the map put on it yet so i'm not using the cams to their full potential, but they were well worth it especially as the engine was being taken apart anyway.

After 3500rpm the car is more potent and pulls better than before, and then at 5500rpm there is another burst of power all the way up to 7000rpm, the top end is rediculous. Engine sounds alot better & heathier now, especially with modular manifold unplugged. The selespeed system is also much happier and it much more fun now. I get so excited about driving it now and always go the long routes.

These cams idle very well, the needle doesnt move at all usually! even better than before but thats probably because the head gasket was toast.

3rd gear on the motorway pulls very well now, great for getting Audi's off my bum where as before it just made more noise.

I'm hoping to get more low end back with a custom remap.

I did try and make a video of it now but couldnt find any way of mounting the camera properly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts