Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,
Needed some quick advice on what's the best performance air filter out there, for my 159 2.4 (210) jtdm, F1 remapped, DPF removed.
I've heard about a few:
1. K&N cone filter
2. Pipercross

But, Any advice from you guys would help. Also, updates from some of you, who have gone this route would be great, like is there a performance improvement noticeable?

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I always thought that the performance filters and their alleged HP gain (K&N is always on about that) was a bit of scam?

·
Registered
716 Posts
Cone.filters are.****** unless you have a cold air feed to them as they just soak up the heat from the engine

just get a replacement panel filter from the likes of bmc/k&n in my opinion

However, i doubt you'll see any major gains if any at all

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I did this simple mod some time ago, not sure what peak hp gains it gives, if any, but my mod does eliminate any hot engine/rad air from being drawn in and sapping power, so it was worth it to me and my idea of removing the snorkel was later used by Mangoletsi's in there performance mods.:)

I used a K&N replacment filter in the air box, I removed the air box snorkel that sits infront of the radiator, and made a new cold feed pipe.:thumbs:
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/tuning-and-upgrades/161952-brera-cold-air-intake.html

·
Registered
422 Posts
Cone.filters are.****** unless you have a cold air feed to them as they just soak up the heat from the engine

just get a replacement panel filter from the likes of bmc/k&n in my opinion

However, i doubt you'll see any major gains if any at all
I disagree.

My previous car ran a custom silicone based induction kit with a cone filter, and saw increased flow throughout the rev range, with a 20% decrease in intake temperature. If it is done properly - it can give significant gains.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Without a housing, where the cone filter Would sit, it is likely to get very soggy with water from the road and therefore actually reducing performance. I'm sure it might sound marginally better but not worth it IMO. I have a K&N replacement filter which works fine...

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm a little confused with the Air Filter change here.
Is there any advantage of swapping my current filter with a Performance Filter? Like Performance, better engine breathing, maintenance, etc

From what I've read, people are saying the Cone Filter (K&N types) ends up sucking hot air.. and Panel filters should be better.

If so, Which one would be the best fit, K&N / BMC / Pipercross... keeping in mind that mine is a remapped 2.4 Diesel.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'm a little confused with the Air Filter change here.
Is there any advantage of swapping my current filter with a Performance Filter? Like Performance, better engine breathing, maintenance, etc

From what I've read, people are saying the Cone Filter (K&N types) ends up sucking hot air.. and Panel filters should be better.

If so, Which one would be the best fit, K&N / BMC / Pipercross... keeping in mind that mine is a remapped 2.4 Diesel.
Just to clarify, it's not the shape of the filter so much as the fact that cone filters are often placed in the middle of a hot engine bay with no cold air feed where as panel filters are usually fitted at the front of the car or in the original airbox. If you supply a cone filter with cold air, it should work well, possibly even better if the trunking from air filter to inlet manifold is shorter as a result.

K&N and Pipercross supply both types. Pipercross filters are foam IIRC where K&N filters are fabric. I prefer the latter, YMMV.

Ian A.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I had performance air filters on my previous petrol cars and only got a good sound on the intake. I could not feel the gain in performance, and I can say that my Fiat Coupe 20v even was worse with it. On both cars I used mushroom racing ones (I do not know if they are allowed on public roads in UK) and made direct piping to intake manifold and positioned them to best possible location to get cold air. I think installing a performance air filter needs a remap to get the best results. In addition, performance filter suck more junk to an engine and I witnessed that when I needed to clean an intake butterfly.

I no longer use performance filters on my cars. Maybe I am just tired of sound they are producing and want to keep an engine as clean as possible.

This is just my opinion.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I bought K&N replacements(for use in original airbox)for all three of our Alfas,a previous 156 and a Peeugeot 1.4.I wouldn't say they improve performance except perhaps at the top of the rev range,where the engine seems to gulp air more cleanly-like a brand new paper filter,except you leave it in for the life of the car.
You can clean and re-oil them.I cleaned and overoiled the Alfasud filter,unfortunately and it doesn't perform quite as well now,presumably because it's a bit blocked up.As a result I won't touch the other two,as there have been worries from some people about the MAF being damaged by the filter oil but I never had any problems with a 156 2.0TS for some 60,000 miles.They are pretty dry when new,anyway.

·
Registered
13 Posts
does the pipercross filter have to be reoiled? or is it just washed and reused?
K&N and Pipercross filters definatly need reoiling after cleaning. Presumable its the same for all performance filters but definatly the case for those two. I used one in just about every car I've owned.

Never really noticed a masive performance gain, some times sharper throttle responce and a tad more mid and top end.

Best bit about the pipercross filter in my Brera S is the slightly louder induction roar on full throttle.

On turbo Deisel engines, you can generally hear the turbo working more.

·
Registered
133 Posts
just replaced my air filter with KN sport filter using original filter housing. Feels better already. I think it is best that engine room looks original :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts