Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was talking to my father-in-law yesterday and told him I was getting an Alfa when I change my car this year... his reaction...... '' Why do you want to do that they are sh*t the worst cars on the road''

I asked him how many he had driven or owned and was told none but that everyone knows they are crap!

I can't believe the mere mention of Alfa can cause such a negative reaction :rant:

P.S he drives a discovery and has had problems with his first one, but still bought another (and had some issues with that as well)!!!!

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
some people cant be helped, there loss is our gain:lol:

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Just buy your Alfa and enjoy it in the knowledge that all the bigots are missing out :thumbs:
My reaction from my Dad was "fantastic engine, but they suffer rust", he is a mechanic so knows his engines, he worked on older Alfas.
From my knob of a brother in law, "why do you want to buy that rust bucket", he hadn't even seen the car :rolleyes:, which is free of rust. :)

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Just buy your Alfa and enjoy it in the knowledge that all the bigots are missing out :thumbs:
My reaction from my Dad was "fantastic engine, but they suffer rust", he is a mechanic so knows his engines, he worked on older Alfas.
From my knob of a brother in law, "why do you want to buy that rust bucket", he hadn't even seen the car :rolleyes:, which is free of rust. :)
my mums brother says the same, everytime he see's her, "hows the tin can?":rant:

he has a rover:cheese:

·
Registered
10,019 Posts
P.S he drives a discovery and has had problems with his first one, but still bought another (and had some issues with that as well)!!!!
But I bet the LR dealership had every part available in stock and at least 10 courtesy cars available ;)

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Thankfully, the simple-mindedness of these people, allows us to own great cars, for a lot less cash than their true worth. It's all good! :)

·
Registered
37,325 Posts
Thankfully, the simple-mindedness of these people, allows us to own great cars, for a lot less cash than their true worth. It's all good! :)
sounds like an unsustainable business.Nobody made money making used cars.(Somebody needs to buy the new cars to feed the scavengers)

G

·
0 Posts
10 Alfas for me now (inc. 2.0 TS, 2.0 JTS, 2.2 JTS, 3.2 V6, 1.9 JTDm & 2.4 JTDm) = no major issues

Plus I love driving them. Every journey is a pleasure

Tell pop-in-law that ;)

E

·
0 Posts
All my cars in 13 years driving have been Itlian, with a mix of Fiat, Lancia and Alfa. I had the usual comments like that, but over time it stopped. Mostly because I have had less issues than some of my friends with supposed "reliable" cars, and no serious problems either. And I have had some older cars when I was younger, 33, 75 and a couple of Pandas.

The worst car I have come across had to be a brand new 2004 BMW 318 cabriolet a mate had as a company car. It was put together badly and had a dash that lit up like a Christmas tree regularly.

Buy your alfa, rise above the stupid comments and enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
3,507 Posts
I've just 'converted' one of my BMW owning neighbours. Until recently, he would work "So what's broken/fallen off/gone wrong with the Fiat this week?", :mad: , into just about every conversation we had over the garden fence. Got a bit boring very quickly. That was until the snow hit just before Christmas.

The first night, on my way home, I watched with great amusement, :cheese: , as a certain gentleman's 3-Series made several attempts to climb the hill into our village, only for it to fail each time and slither backwards to the bottom. He eventually abandoned it and set-off to walk through the blizzard. Not being one to hold a grudge, I stopped and offered him a lift. His comment of "Hope it makes it without breaking down" almost saw him continuing on foot but I was able to rise above the temptation, :rolleyes:.

Over the next 3 weeks or so his car was never once in his driveway. Several times, if I was passing, I would give him a lift to or from its new 'home' in the lay-by outside the village and I couldn't help but notice that, although he wasn't saying anything at the time, he was getting quite 'touchy-feely' with the 159's fixtures and fittings. One of his last comments, before the roads were finally cleared and the lifts were no longer required, was "You know, the more I get to know this car the more I'm really getting to like it!" :wow: :thumbs:

Next thing you know, he'll be asking me if I happen to have a brochure on it - which if he does, it so happens I do!
Note to self : must remember to enquire at local Alfa dealer about commission payments, :lol:.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
My wife hated Alfa's and didn't understand my love for Italian cars. It took a spinal injury & 10 months without driving for her to like them.

Initially, I used to have to ask her to take the 156 out for a spin but then I used to have her that she had her own car that needed the occasional run too:lol:

As soon as I was driving again she got her own 156SW. A year later and to date she's in her 3.2GT:cool:

G

·
0 Posts
Most people who slag off alfa's are the kind that have no idea about cars, but it is easy to say a car is crap. They are no more unreliable than other cars but because they have heard on topgear that they fall apart that is what they believe. But its like pringles, once you pop you just cant stop. Brilliant cars, i would highly recommend one.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Just don't rise to the bait! As numerous people have said, they're great cars and if people wish to live happily with their ignorance and unfounded criticisms, let them.

For the record, I have a colleague with an A4 who had to leave it behind for a week in the recent icy conditions in favour of his wife's Golf. I also noticed a 3 series and a Merc had broken down during one journey the other day on the M8 and my neighbour has had numerous 'bonnet-up' episodes with his Honda Accord - reputedly one of the most reliable brands people perceive.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Was talking to my father-in-law yesterday and told him I was getting an Alfa when I change my car this year... his reaction...... '' Why do you want to do that they are sh*t the worst cars on the road''

!
Plainly nobody has told you that one of the greatest pleasures any father in law can get is winding up his son in law. It worked.

N

·
0 Posts
What, pray tell, does your father-in-law drive? :confused:

Ah, a Discovery. Does he live in the sticks then?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
i can't stand people's reactions when i say what i drive! I've owned 9 Fiat/Lancia/Alfa & not one has ever given me bother, it drives me crazy!

·
Registered
125 Posts
The enlightenned ones

Lol...I agree totally with Mike69...sssshhhhh everyone, lets keep it to ourselves.....Alfa Romeo is the best value car around...fantastic driving experience, economic...yes, I said the e word......reliable...yes, in my experience the most reliable mark I have owned.........sexy....Italian......there isn't one parked around every corner and hey, we got the Alfa Wave...shhhhhh..if everyone finds out the price will go up up up:p

1 - 20 of 79 Posts