Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like my uncle. My 75 has been in the family for a while as you all no. I was the only person that wants to keep it. My brothers where going to get rid so i said ill buy it. So now i have ive started the work i want to do to it.

The uncle came over the outher day. Is it realy worth it. Its scrap get rid off it. If you fix it up and sel it you may get 500 for it.

I was sort off like. Ill sel the wheels for that:mad:

But outher people in the family whne they come over the house and see me working on it they say im waisting my money.

Gets on my nerves. Carnt wait until its done and looking good. Then they all can shut up.

few mistakes sory. In a rush.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Re: People who nothing about Alfas yet try and tell you they are worth nothhing

What sort of cars do they waste their money on then Gavin?
Work out how much theirs have gone down in value over the last year.
It is not very easy to buy cars, run them and make a profit. I did, years ago, But also bought cars that have gone down 50% in a year.
Didn't even like them too much, either.
You have your own standard of value, and will get the thrill of building and driving your project.

M

·
0 Posts

...and we'll all enjoy you showing them what you can do with the car :cool: - even if they might not appreciate it. We will though!:D

M

·
0 Posts

Keep it Gavin, fettle it and maintain it and I'm sure it would of made your Dad proud:)

A

·
0 Posts

Gavin, as long as you don't "chav it up" your 75 won't lose you too much money. These cars hold a special place in the hearts of lots of Alfa fans due to their race history and RWD design. Future classic IMHO. Stick with it and you will have the last laugh on them.

·
Premium Member
77,396 Posts

frustrating Gavin

me Dad, yesterday, asked if I was thinking of changing and I said I was, but just get a newer 156

why? he asked....that's no good for a family

how many times do we drive with the full family over any distance? Once or twice.......a year.

gah

he drives a KIA 4x4 on autogas

·
Administrator
60,437 Posts

Family, sometimes they need to let you be, they always have opinions that aren't asked for, that's what a family does best.

Gotto love them anyways:D

·
Registered
2,136 Posts

As keith says, hardly anyone makes a profit on a car, that's not the point.

I'm lucky to come from a family of Alfa lovers, so when my 147 was costing me an arm and a leg to service none of them gave me any grief when I went and ordered a GT to replace it!

Get that 75 looking great and any amount of money will seem worthwhile :)

·
Registered
780 Posts

They shouldn't knock them until they've tried them.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts

Keep at it Gav, it'll be worth it in the end. :)

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Thanks everyone. Im sure as soon as they see it painted and shiney they will take there word back. :)

·
Registered
204 Posts

keep it, fix it, and enjoy it:)
and when they ask you to give them a lift to the local shops etc......tell them to bugga off:p

·
Vendor
46,115 Posts

Keep it man, its good to see the next generation of Alfa lovers coming through. Them 75s can be made into beasts, even saw a Ferrari engined one rallying around on YouTube. I'd definitely advise you to keep it looking stock, even if its modded to the hilt under the bonnet :D

Are you the youngest AlfaOwner on here? At 16 it's likely ;)

If its an ongoing project, take photo's at every stage and keep us up to date, I'd be very interested to see how the 75 comes on :D

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

wel its all rady modified. I didnt do it.

I want to keep it as it epart from the engine. If i can afford to do anything more with the engine then i will but it will cost a bomb.

Mabye having it run twin spark again. Its a twin spark head but only 1 plug per cylinder is running.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts

I'm sorry to say in monetary terms, alfas are worth nothing. However, not all of us buy cars to have a car that has a lot of value. Some people may decide to buy cars for handling, performance, aesthetics, history, etc.

·
Registered
225 Posts

Keep it man, its good to see the next generation of Alfa lovers coming through. Them 75s can be made into beasts, even saw a Ferrari engined one rallying around on YouTube. I'd definitely advise you to keep it looking stock, even if its modded to the hilt under the bonnet :D

Are you the youngest AlfaOwner on here? At 16 it's likely ;)

If its an ongoing project, take photo's at every stage and keep us up to date, I'd be very interested to see how the 75 comes on :D
Doesn't help being young I guess where people's opinions are concerned - my Mum keeps urging me to buy a new car, & keep away from old cars...should've seen the look of shock on her face when I said I was buying an F-reg 75. She, and other people, don't seem to understand that 'old' cars can be worth a substantial sum of money. Example: I looked at a G-reg 75 in absolutely mint condition for £1050, and she said 'my god that's a LOT of money for a G-reg!' - its condition, and relative rarity value, to her would make no difference.
Anyway, sorry to rant (rant room instead maybe:D)
Ignore them all Gavin - enjoy your car if you think it's worth the money - the majority of us aren't dopey enough to throw money at a car if we really don't think it's worth it...
*rant over*:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,385 Posts

I recently had a chat with a good friend of the family and he laughingly mentioned that his brand new Porsche Caymen was faster that my 155, I agreed with him but mentioned that when he did finally reach my top speed I consolled myself by remembering that my car cost the same as he loses a day in depreciation, that shut him up ;)

·
Banned
7,679 Posts

For a moment there I thought you were referring to Alfa Dealers :lol: :lol:

Its your money so you should feel free to spend it as you see fit....

Chris

·
Registered
754 Posts

The problem is, many people see cars simply as tools rather thenanything that can provide enjoyment of reward.

In a financial sense, my car is a disaster. She is still shedding value, I am spending a lot to run/maintain it but I love her. My 147 is my Juliette, a being with soul, rather then simply an item and I would be devastated to lose her, and the feeling you get when you drive her is unbeatable. I'm sure other Alfisti feel exactly the same way.

People who drive Skodas, Vauxhalls, Fords etc simply will not understand.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts