Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate this with a passion.
You know the scenario you are approaching the motorway on a slip road and you can clearly see the outside lane is clear but there is a procession of old farts who point blank refuse to pull over and let you out and you end up driving along side them until you have to slam the brakes on to avoid merging in to them.
Then you have to rag the sh it out of your car to build up enough speed to get in front of the next **** who refuses to pull over or they will be taking a one way ticket in to the back of your car.
WHY CANT THEY JUST PULL OVER.
It drives me FFFing nuts.

·
Registered
25,672 Posts
They don;t have to, it's a give way when joining the motorwway in some cases and you should match your speed to the traffic already on the motorway.

The highway code says

Driving on the motorway
Joining the motorway. When you join the motorway you will normally approach it from a road on the left (a slip road) or from an adjoining motorway. You should

give priority to traffic already on the motorway
check the traffic on the motorway and match your speed to fit safely into the traffic flow in the left-hand lane
not cross solid white lines that separate lanes or use the hard shoulder
stay on the slip road if it continues as an extra lane on the motorway
remain in the left-hand lane long enough to adjust to the speed of traffic before considering overtaking

:p

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Its true they have right of way, but it is bloody annoying!! Esp if its some stoney faced **** you just know is getting some sadistic pleasure out of it! Must confess though I am selective to whom I left pull infront of me, if its a good car i let them in, if its **** I say "nay" LOL

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They don;t have to, it's a give way when joining the motorwway in some cases and you should match your speed to the traffic already on the motorway.

The highway code says

Driving on the motorway
Joining the motorway. When you join the motorway you will normally approach it from a road on the left (a slip road) or from an adjoining motorway. You should

give priority to traffic already on the motorway
check the traffic on the motorway and match your speed to fit safely into the traffic flow in the left-hand lane
not cross solid white lines that separate lanes or use the hard shoulder
stay on the slip road if it continues as an extra lane on the motorway
remain in the left-hand lane long enough to adjust to the speed of traffic before considering overtaking

:p
So its you who does it. I hate you.:lol:

Where i live in bournemouth if you are joining the dual carriageway from Hurn there is a very tight blind right hand bend which has about a 100 yard slip rd to join the dual carriageway and it gets bloody busy.
And there is always a huge tail back because people joining the motorway have to stop and wait instead of filtering on to the dual carriageway which is simple enough if people just pulled in to the empty outside lane.
F ** K the highway code. Its just common sense.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
:confused: but how can these olds bods bloke you in when they're hogging the middle lane :p :lol:

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
As this an "old person bashing thread" ... * sits back waitin for Deemac to appear *

S

·
0 Posts
Have seen a few near misses on the Westlink (A12 Belfast), Divis Street Northbound sliproad. The NI AOers will know what I mean.

Basically you have about 50 metres of opening onto the 50mph dual carriageway, then a 60 foot concrete wall (they nickname this section "The Canyon").

People sit in the inside lane and either bunch up, not allowing traffic on, or emergency stop. Once saw an HGV had to put the anchors on trying to join, smoke everywhere. If I'm on the outside lane, having took the Grosvenor Road bend handling challenge (it's quite a tight bend for a 50mph DC ;) ) end up in the dilemma, do I slow down to let people out into the outside lane, when most of the time they're so unobservant they don't realise I'm leaving them space, or do I continue on and leave them to it? Hateful sliproad.

Google Streetview of the sliproad.

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
whilst the highway code does indeed state that you need to give way to traffic already on the motorway, it doesn't mean it's right. (highway code is still full of total and utter nonsense like stopping distances...)

so let's not kid ourselves that the highway code is absolute gospel, moving into the outside lane of the motorway to let people in off a slip road is a) common bloody courtesy and b) common bloody sense

just move over you rover-driving old duffers!!!! :lol:

·
Registered
187 Posts
I both agree and disagree with this, although one of my pet hates is conversely the exact opposite. I do move over if the outside lane is available to let slip road traffic onto the carriageway but, absolutely cannot do with the 3, 4, 5 or whatever number of cars coming down the slip road about 3 feet apart like they have some divine right to join the carriageway that I am travelling down, if I can't get into the outside lane I will merrily share my paintwork with any of them that decide to try me!

If someone is coming down the sliproad they should leave enough room to the car infront to allow the car infront to get onto the carriageway, let another car go by and then and only then should they expect some courtesy to get onto the carriageway unmolested, my pennies worth anyway,

John.

·
0 Posts
Too many 'blinkered' vehicle operators (I won't call them 'drivers' ;) ) out there - happy in lil worlds of their own :mad:

If there was more 'consideration' for others on the road in this respect, the 'machine' that is traffic would operate a lot more smoothly IMO :D

S

·
0 Posts
Don't even get me started on this, its a HUGE pain in the ***!!!

Especially when they see your going to join so they close the gap :rant:

·
Registered
13,986 Posts
whilst the highway code does indeed state that you need to give way to traffic already on the motorway, it doesn't mean it's right. (highway code is still full of total and utter nonsense like stopping distances...)

so let's not kid ourselves that the highway code is absolute gospel, moving into the outside lane of the motorway to let people in off a slip road is a) common bloody courtesy and b) common bloody sense

just move over you rover-driving old duffers!!!! :lol:
Common courtesy in driving on UK roads is not that common really.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts