Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way home from work I come to a set of traffic lights by the junction of the A483. There are two lanes here, one of which is for turning onto the A483 to head towards Chester. Traffic coming off here to head towards Ruthin are also controlled by the same set of traffic lights, and there is a box junction at this point. People leaving the A483 often ignore the box junction markings, and then get stuck, completely blocking both lanes, preventing traffic from moving, and adding at least a couple of minutes to my journey home.

Why don't we hang these criminals :mad:

·
Registered
285 Posts
I hear you Gary, it winds me up no end as well.

I particularly like the ability of these idiots to stare intently at the rear of the car in front and not even acknowlege their mistake or apologise for it.

I did read that they're starting to use cameras to issue fixed penalties for this, although I'm torn on whether that's a good thing or not.

D

·
0 Posts
It's typical of how driving standards have been falling over the last few years, people don't look ahead any more and end up trapped in a box junction. People are far too wound up in their own little worlds to look about them.

Why don't we hang these criminals :mad:
Hang them, draw and quarter them, burn their entrails and hang them from every lampost at every box junction to warn others who do it!

·
Registered
3,986 Posts

I did read that they're starting to use cameras to issue fixed penalties for this, although I'm torn on whether that's a good thing or not.
Good thing. This is one use for cameras which I approve of. Goodness knows the level of congestion caused by Box Junction trespassers.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Or just write down thier numberplates and post the details of the offence/bad driving on here
http://www.betterdrivingplease.com/Reports.asp

I agree that there are loads of annoying things that drivers do out there but isn't there enough of this nanny state crap?

I think that basically there are just too many drivers out there that are clueless thus it should start with licencing. The tests should be a lot more difficult and one should have to take a re-test every 5 years.

·
Super Moderator
44,918 Posts
I don't know that box junction cameras could work properly. How can they judge whether the stationary car is waiting for a gap in oncoming traffic in order to turn right? (in which case they're perfectly entitled to be there)

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, you can only move into a box junction if you're turning right and the way ahead is clear...

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
The rule is clear and simple: You may ONLY enter the Box Junction if your exit road is clear.

So if you can't get out, don't go in!

N

·
0 Posts
I think driving standards can be directly linked
to public service announcement style adverts.

There used to be tonnes on TV in the 70s:
Driving was okay.

Now there are hardly any: driving is getting worse.

They never had such ads in France: Driving is appalling!

QED

:lol:

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
I think driving standards can be directly linked
to public service announcement style adverts.

There used to be tonnes on TV in the 70s:
Driving was okay.

Now there are hardly any: driving is getting worse.

They never had such ads in France: Driving is appalling!

QED

:lol:
Yer right, Nev. I took that quoteon Box Junctions directly from one of those Public Service broadcasts. I've never forgotten it. mind you It took me years to figure it out?:rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

It's a good point you make though. They're now criticised for being a bit "nannie" but many were very good and funny. As I said you tend to remember both the film AND the message.

Two spring to mind (you'll laugh!):

Nice round 'ere Petunia (fat bird and wee bloke on beach wearing hankie on head) - Coastguard warning!

Charlie the cat - "Charlie says..........

I feel a list post coming on.....see if you can remember any more.

·
Super Moderator
44,918 Posts
Well, you can only move into a box junction if you're turning right and the way ahead is clear...
But if there is oncoming traffic then it is perfectly acceptable to enter the box junction and come to a halt in it.
As you (and Will) say, the exit road needs to be clear, but that doesn't mean that you can definitely get at it.
Extract from highway code:
However, you may enter the box and wait when you want to turn right, and are only stopped from doing so by oncoming traffic, or by other vehicles waiting to turn right.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's weird how people moan about the nanny state - until either someone obstructs theur journey home, drops litter in their garden, smokes on their bus etc etc...

·
Super Moderator
44,918 Posts

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
But if there is oncoming traffic then it is perfectly acceptable to enter the box junction and come to a halt in it.
As you (and Will) say, the exit road needs to be clear, but that doesn't mean that you can definitely get at it.
Extract from highway code:
However, you may enter the box and wait when you want to turn right, and are only stopped from doing so by oncoming traffic, or by other vehicles waiting to turn right.
Yes, but then a camera would be able to tell whether the way ahead was clear, and thus whether an offence was committed :)

·
Registered
25,672 Posts

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Incorrect. See my other post.
No, Will's correct on both accounts. If you are turning right and are delayed by oncoming traffic the oncoming traffic will stop when the lights change to red, allowing you to move off (if the way ahead is clear, before the traffic to the left receives a green light to move on. Thus avoiding an obstruction...

·
Super Moderator
44,918 Posts
Yes, but then a camera would be able to tell whether the way ahead was clear, and thus whether an offence was committed :)
Do you think so?
I'm not sure the camera systems are sophisticated enough to decide whether there is oncoming traffic or not.
What if the oncoming vehicle is a long way away, but coming at high speed, or the person in the box junction is a new driver and hesitant so waits when a gap was maybe big enough?

·
Super Moderator
44,918 Posts
No, Will's correct on both accounts. If you are turning right and are delayed by oncoming traffic the oncoming traffic will stop when the lights change to red, allowing you to move off (if the way ahead is clear, before the traffic to the left receives a green light to move on. Thus avoiding an obstruction...
We're arguing semantics here, but I still think his second statement is incorrect.
"if you can't get out, don't go in".
At the moment of entering, in that situation, you can't get out, but you are still allowed to go in.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts