Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
37,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is it, when you are in a queue of stationary traffic or at traffic lights the car in front of you sits on the brakes even after being stood still for ages?

This causes a dazzling amount of red light to enter my car giving me a headache.

In the daytime it is not a problem, but as my drive home will soon be dark it is likely to get on my goat again.

Don't these people know how to use a handbrake?

·
Registered
10,019 Posts
Its almost as annoying as incorrect use of fog lights :lol:

IKWYM though, stationary traffic sat with main beam on

·
Registered
212 Posts
Automatics?

I don't know if you noticed but more often that not the high beam suspect tends to be a Mondeo!

J

·
0 Posts
Why is it, when you are in a queue of stationary traffic or at traffic lights the car in front of you sits on the brakes even after being stood still for ages?

This causes a dazzling amount of red light to enter my car giving me a headache.

In the daytime it is not a problem, but as my drive home will soon be dark it is likely to get on my goat again.

Don't these people know how to use a handbrake?
when i am at home in plymouth i find i don't do it, when working in/around London i am guilty of it....

Why?? queue jumpers....after sitting in a queue for 10 mins i will be damned if i am going to let some little scrote barge in the space between me and the car in front when the car in front moves off...so i have one foot on the brake and one ready with the accelerator...

and that's the reason why i sit on the brakes....sorry Symon:(

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I tend to leave my foot on the brake especially at night, until someone has actually stopped behind me. I do it so that the car clearly lights up (2 * brake plus one high level light) and hopefully prevents idiots from going into the back of me. I have had several close calls of this type over the years and it has made me nervous.

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
minis and 4x4's are the worst - 4x4's cos the brake lights are at your eye-level (and they're all automatics), and minis because they have that bright pinky red light that burns like the kind of laser darth vader would fancy on his next death star

get off the brakes and put your bloody handbrake on :mad:

·
Registered
37,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I tend to leave my foot on the brake especially at night, until someone has actually stopped behind me. I do it so that the car clearly lights up (2 * brake plus one high level light) and hopefully prevents idiots from going into the back of me. I have had several close calls of this type over the years and it has made me nervous.
That is understandable, and so is sitting on the brake if you want a fast getaway.

I am specifically referring to sitting in a queue of traffic that is not going anywhere. Why can the handbrake not be used when you are the 2nd or 3rd car back from the obstruction/lights etc?

V

·
0 Posts
people are just lazy

4x4's are the worst with their lights being at eye level

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Admittedly I very rarely use my handbrake unless its a very long queue and I'm not gonna be moving anytime soon :D

·
0 Posts
Good rant :D - I hope they all get warped discs :evil: :lol:

Am about to post a traffic light one too :)

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
whats worse? having a brake light on in front of you, or not getting through the lights because everyone in front was sat out of gear with the handbrake on? autos take ages to engage drive so if everyone does the same, less cars will get through the lights on each cycle, personally on a cold winters evening on the way home, id rather get dazzled but get home earlier. being stuck at lights behind slow buggers is way more anoying than a red light.

brake lights on bmws and mercs do seem brighter than necessary though.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I'm with Phil on this one, keep my foot on the brake at any junctions etc until whoever is behind me has stopped, then I take it off to hovver over the accelerator. If its a bit of wait & there is nothing behind me foot is off but if a car does appear in the distance then I will put my foot back on the brake just so they know I'm there & stationary.

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
Good rant :D - I hope they all get warped discs :evil: :lol:
Here you go, Jon. Feel free to dish these out to offending drivers when you're next bored and stuck in a traffic jam. :thumbs:

S

·
0 Posts
What is it with the drivers who seem to take a year to register that the light is green and go?

Sometimes only 3 cars get through then it's red again :mad:

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
What is it with the drivers who seem to take a year to register that the light is green and go?

Sometimes only 3 cars get through then it's red again :mad:
Now THAT'S what I call a legitimate gripe. :thumbs:

Annoying is not the word! :rant: :mad: :tut:

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
my no 1 gripe is people who drive consistantly 10-15 mph under the limit for mile after mile then when they get to a camera they slam on their brakes, just in case:rolleyes: usually micra drivers, or similar 'i know sod all about cars so i bought this heap of tripe that laughingly passes for a car'

1 - 20 of 37 Posts