Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the missus has always wanted an old VW camper van, and the timing for us now seems right to get one. So... the mission begins. :D

Over the last 2 weeks I've been trawling newspapers, internet, magazines, generating lists of possibles; and then contacting them to arrange a visit. The grandparents offered to look after the kids this weekend so we can travel a bit further afield to find the "right" bus. :cool:

Here's the brief rant - if people want to sell their cars, they need to respond to people ringing or e-mailing about them! With the exception of one ad (where I actually managed to speak to the bloke, and the van was already sold) the adverts were recently placed, ie max 3 days old. Out of over 20 enquiries I've tried to make, only 4 have responded (and one of those inititally sent me a load of photos, agreed I could view it yesterday, but didn't respond to my question about address / time / phone number etc...) :rant:

So... 2 weeks of trawling, lots of e-mails and phone calls, looks like we have just the one van to look at next weekend - I think we're going to be a while finding the right one.....:(

M

·
0 Posts
Feel for you: not only buyers that are time-wasters, it seems. Just have to stick with it.

I'm assuming that your internet searching is through owners clubs as well as the usual avenues. Members there ought to be more committed to their vehicles, but maybe not eh?

Hope you get a comfortable one - they are so slow you'll be spending a long time in it :p

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Feel for you: not only buyers that are time-wasters, it seems. Just have to stick with it.

I'm assuming that your internet searching is through owners clubs as well as the usual avenues. Members there ought to be more committed to their vehicles, but maybe not eh?

Hope you get a comfortable one - they are so slow you'll be spending a long time in it :p
Yeah, tried the clubs as well - they seem to be better to be fair. The two decent sets of responses I've had have been through clubs (and all of the adverts seem to be more realistic as to what makes a "good" bus...)

A

·
0 Posts
Years ago my brother had a slightly tatty green VW camper van. It was a good machine, if slow. One day a cheeky parking attendant asked him "Are you parking sir, or abandoning?" :lol::lol::lol:

AlfaLincs

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:) Seeing the condition of some of the vans I've seen, I'm not surprised! Needs TLC = Needs completely new chassis rails, outriggers, floorpan, doors, sills, roof and valances.... My father's axe springs to mind :)

S

·
0 Posts
:) Seeing the condition of some of the vans I've seen, I'm not surprised! Needs TLC = Needs completely new chassis rails, outriggers, floorpan, doors, sills, roof and valances.... My father's axe springs to mind :)
Most of us have sold a car that wasn't perfect, but haven't lied in the advert.

Some sellers are optimistic with the truth.

Mint = average

Good = poor

Needs some work / TLC = Worth £20 in scrap metal.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, with a 40 year old vehicle the "Mint" need some sorting from the "TLC", especially when they have all had a touch of paint by now!

M

·
0 Posts
Don't get me started on "mint". I've been to see all sorts of cars described variously as "mint" and "immaculate" - never seen one though.

"Mint" is an absolute, as in coins just minted, unused. The notion of a used car being "mint" a nonsense. Even worse is "mint for it's age" - completely meaningless.

How about "good condition for it's age"? At 15 years old this equals "looks and drives like a shed, but not unroadworthy for a couple of months yet"

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
My very favourite phrase sellers use is "only age-related marks".

Talk about coverage of a multitude of sins!!!

·
Registered
30,408 Posts
So... 2 weeks of trawling, lots of e-mails and phone calls, looks like we have just the one van to look at next weekend - I think we're going to be a while finding the right one.....:(
Have you tried thesamba.com :)

Are you after a splitty or a bay?

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm after a bay - I'd love a Splitty but can't really afford one :(
Thanks for the link though, I'll give it a go - maybe someone going from Bay to Splitty :)

G

·
0 Posts
Hey Mave, there is a stunning white VW Westfalia camper on the Craigslist Birmingham at the moment....some complications in that it was brought over from the US for a VW event, and if it remains, there may be considerable duty to be paid...still, worth a look. Saw it, and thought of your post.

1973 VW Westfalia bus

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the link mate, but I really want RHD )or specifically I want the sliding door kerbside!)
We've got a pair of 4 week old babies, and I want to be able to get them in without going onto the road :(

The search continues.... :)

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got one! Pick it up next weekend :) All we need now is some decent weather for a bit of end of season camping...

M

·
0 Posts
Not good enough! We need linky if there's an ad online or failing that, a description. Was it a bay? Did you find a split screen? How has it been fitted out?

Come on, you know you want to tell us!

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not good enough! We need linky if there's an ad online or failing that, a description. Was it a bay? Did you find a split screen? How has it been fitted out?

Come on, you know you want to tell us!
OK, only decent photo I've got at the moment - spent so long checking underneath it last night it was dark before I thought to get piccies! It's a 1978 Devon bay, rock'n'roll bed, walk through. Nice condition but not tip top, so no worries about the odd bit of mud :)

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts