Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Why do people not realise that old cars leave a space in front of them for a reason and not as an invitation to pull out in front off you!!:mad:

Due to problems with the Fiats brakes :)mad: another story) I had to use the GT Junior for work last week. Even though it had the best brakes in the world when introduced that was over 40 years ago and now they are poor by modern standards. On Friday on the way into work I was driving on an empty road at 6:45am and a BMW 318ti sawn off approached from a side road saw me and pulled out barely 20 feet in front:tut:luckily there was about 20 yards of dual carriage way (in front of a bus stop and mini supermarket) and he did have the decency to stay in left lane so a moved out to avoid heavy braking. As we approached the end of the dual carrageway he actually tried to out accelerate me :rant:instead of letting me overtake!!! Luckily the Acceleration isn't as poor as the brakes so I quick flex of the right toe and he was behind me and I then slowed him down to a more legal speed without using the brakes, he then turned off 20 yards later. For such a short distance why did he feel the need to nearly cause a crash with the only other car on the road.

Then on my way home from work travelling at about 30mph a lady in a white van pulls out on me because I'd left a forty foot gap to the car in front:wow: only just managed to stop this time!! Then as I went passed her in a left turn filter lane she gave me verbals for nearly running into her!!!

N

·
0 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but have the stopping distances changed in the Highway Code?

I don't think so, so why are these people acting like they have? :confused:

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I sure the stopping distance haven't changed either, but do tend to notice beacuse most modern cars can easily beat those stopping distances, a lot of drivers totally ignore the fact not all cars can and fail to drive accordingly

E

·
0 Posts
The answer is ignorance pure and simple. Not just to old cars but other road users in general, hence my post on idiots on the road. I am just amazed at the not just poor, but dangerous things you see people doing on the roads these days.

S

·
0 Posts
a BMW 318ti sawn off approached
For such a short distance why did he feel the need to nearly cause a crash with the only other car on the road.
Think you answered your own question. There are some inconsiderate idiots out there, especially the "If it's not new its useless" mindset ones who don't give old (ie. >5 years old) cars any respect.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Think you answered your own question. There are some inconsiderate idiots out there, especially the "If it's not new its useless" mindset ones who don't give old (ie. >5 years old) cars any respect.

But any crash would probably have affected his car (and neck) quite a bit if I rear ended him. (I think my car may be worth the most too)

M

·
0 Posts
Sounds like an invitation to rear end him and do a number on the insurance company - "there's gooooold in them thar hills".

·
Registered
37,142 Posts
My Brother has similar problems in his Morris Minor.

It has all round drum brakes, so you need to leave a massive gap.

Unfortunately as you say a gap is an invitation for some idiot to pull out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts