Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's snowing. The roads get ****ed up. It takes you longer to get places. Stuff gets cancelled. Deal with it.

Go out side and build a snowman or have a snowball fight. I did earlier and it was great (Until my wife and daughter left me in the trenches taking grenades).

Everyone witters on about how it's minus 14 in Kiev and they cope. The reason they cope is because they have no choice. They just do what they can, safe in the knowledge that if they complain to their MP they'll end up in a salt mine in Siberia.

I was listening to Jeremy Vine on Radio 2 earlier and some bloke phoned in whinging and moaning because Asda couldn't deliver the shopping he's ordered on-line due to the inclement weather. There are people living on the streets, soldiers being killed in Afghanistan, Mark Hughes has been sacked and some bloke is ringing up Radio stations because he's going to have to get off his fat **** and go shopping.

Get a grip.

·
Premium Member
42,812 Posts
Nice rant Keithy :thumbs:

...and breath :D

·
Registered
694 Posts
It's the usual my life is more important than everyone else's brigade.
It is a pain in the **** when councils don't grit the roads even though the weather had been forecast a week ago mind.

·
Registered
54,872 Posts
It's snowing. The roads get ****ed up. It takes you longer to get places. Stuff gets cancelled. Deal with it.

Go out side and build a snowman or have a snowball fight. I did earlier and it was great (Until my wife and daughter left me in the trenches taking grenades).

Everyone witters on about how it's minus 14 in Kiev and they cope. The reason they cope is because they have no choice. They just do what they can, safe in the knowledge that if they complain to their MP they'll end up in a salt mine in Siberia.

I was listening to Jeremy Vine on Radio 2 earlier and some bloke phoned in whinging and moaning because Asda couldn't deliver the shopping he's ordered on-line due to the inclement weather. There are people living on the streets, soldiers being killed in Afghanistan, Mark Hughes has been sacked and some bloke is ringing up Radio stations because he's going to have to get off his fat **** and go shopping.

Get a grip.

Well said that man :thumbs: :lol:

·
Registered
11,203 Posts
Can I add another thing?
People at airports moaning thier flight was cancelled.. Yes it may be highly annoying but if you fancy doing 180mph on the runway with snow, ice and high winds and 300 lives in your hands. YOU fly the damn plane.
Its for your own safety.

·
Premium Member
76,983 Posts

Get a grip.
well said mate

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can I add another thing?
People at airports moaning thier flight was cancelled.. Yes it may be highly annoying but if you fancy doing 180mph on the runway with snow, ice and high winds and 300 lives in your hands. YOU fly the damn plane.
Its for your own safety.
That is a very good point that does not get made often enough SnowAngel. :thumbs:

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is a very good point that does not get made often enough SnowAngel. :thumbs:
Indeed it is. If they don't want to fly the plane maybe they could pick up a shovel each and get to work clearing the tarmac. Must be better than sitting in the lounge drinking ****-poor overipriced coffee and wondering exactly who you're going to give that bottle of orange liqueur from the duty free shop to.

·
Registered
37,142 Posts
We didn't get much snow, but the roads were still very dangerous.

The council were obviously trying to save cash by not gritting the roads.

·
Super Moderator
22,993 Posts
Can I add another thing?
Its for your own safety.
So true.

I have seen people interviewed saying that their "holiday dreams" have been shattered - like it is their divine right to be delivered to New York or wherever without question. Disappointing true but - for Heaven's sake - get a perspective on life - 2/3 of the world's population have never made a telephone call.

·
Registered
334 Posts
What a fantastic rant.

However I did hear on the radio one interview with a department store manager think, who allowed the staff and custormers to syat in the store and sleep on the beds( I think it was a John Lewis), and her words were along the lines of well no point me moaning, we just mae the best of the situation.

Personally I bet those 100 or so people kipping in the store probably had quite a fun night

·
Registered
11,203 Posts
:thumbs:

Indeed it is. If they don't want to fly the plane maybe they could pick up a shovel each and get to work clearing the tarmac. Must be better than sitting in the lounge drinking ****-poor overipriced coffee and wondering exactly who you're going to give that bottle of orange liqueur from the duty free shop to.
I would help clear the runway!! Sounds like fun!

So true.

I have seen people interviewed saying that their "holiday dreams" have been shattered - like it is their divine right to be delivered to New York or wherever without question. Disappointing true but - for Heaven's sake - get a perspective on life - 2/3 of the world's population have never made a telephone call.
Its the same for delays, 'We have a technical fault, your flight will be delayed for 4 hours'

Fine by me mate, you just get those problems fixed and tell me when its ready..

Not 'I want to fly now. I paid for a flight NOW. Put me on that flight.'

'Sure madam but its likely the wings will fall off, have a nice flight'

·
Registered
764 Posts
Really ? are they all on the 3 network by any chance ? :lol:
:cheese:

Actually I am going to have a moan. We don't get any snow here in Blackpool, quite literally (something to do with the gulf stream keeping it away from us or summat) so to get a couple of inches on Monday morning was, well, sort of exciting, especially for the kids.

But what did get my back up was that there were NO gritters out until late Monday night, word is that if they had sent them out Monday morning they would have had to pay double time overtime rates. Most of the main roads still hadn't been done by Tuesday morning.

Also most of the buses weren't running, for "health and safety reasons", and those that were, were taking "safe" routes, in some cases more than a mile of their usual routes - such as the long, straight, wide main road near us. Now we're only talking about a couple of inches here, no more - what gets me is when I was a kid living in east Manchester 30+ years ago (just up the road from where Mark Hughes used to work) we regularly got 6-8 inches of snow but the roads were cleared, buses ran and though there was obviously some disruption, life continued pretty much as normal. So why can't we cope now with two inches?

What really annoys me is they spend millions on promoting health and safety, even more on traffic calming schemes and the like then when you really need help when the roads ARE dangerous - just a few wagons full of sand will do - they're nowhere to be seen and the council can't spend more on the problem because they are on a "limited budget". It's pathetic.

·
Premium Member
76,983 Posts
:cheese:

Actually I am going to have a moan. We don't get any snow here in Blackpool, quite literally (something to do with the gulf stream keeping it away from us or summat) so to get a couple of inches on Monday morning was, well, sort of exciting, especially for the kids.

But what did get my back up was that there were NO gritters out until late Monday night, word is that if they had sent them out Monday morning they would have had to pay double time overtime rates. Most of the main roads still hadn't been done by Tuesday morning.

Also most of the buses weren't running, for "health and safety reasons", and those that were, were taking "safe" routes, in some cases more than a mile of their usual routes - such as the long, straight, wide main road near us. Now we're only talking about a couple of inches here, no more - what gets me is when I was a kid living in east Manchester 30+ years ago (just up the road from where Mark Hughes used to work) we regularly got 6-8 inches of snow but the roads were cleared, buses ran and though there was obviously some disruption, life continued pretty much as normal. So why can't we cope now with two inches?

What really annoys me is they spend millions on promoting health and safety, even more on traffic calming schemes and the like then when you really need help when the roads ARE dangerous - just a few wagons full of sand will do - they're nowhere to be seen and the council can't spend more on the problem because they are on a "limited budget". It's pathetic.
so.....where there was regular heavy snow the authorities coped.....but where there is never any snow they struggle a little? I wonder if partly this is about risk/contingency/budget etc. if you perhaps felt you needed a better service you might have to pay more 'rates'. just a thought

1 - 20 of 67 Posts