Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I know this is going to sound horrible, but I think it's a fair comment.

Why is it that pensioners insist on going to post offices and banks mostly immediately as they open, in the lunch hour or half an hour before closing? i.e. at times when working people are in a tearing hurry, either because they are racing to work, are on a lunch break or have left work a little early. If you look in a bank at about 2:30pm, there aren't usually any pensioners in sight and the place is pretty deserted.

It's the same with buses. Pensioners get free bus travel, but why do they have to exercise that right during the school rush hour and then moan like stink that the buses are full of schoolkids? (I know this because my kids have told me in graphic detail about the abusive nature of pensioners at these times). If I was retired I would deliberately avoid travelling during these times.

I went to the post office first thing this morning and waited patiently outside for it to open. I was lucky to be at the front of a massive queue. But I reckon 95% of people in the queue were pensioners. I need to get back to work, whereas they have all day to go to the Post Office. I think it's very inconsiderate. Am I horrible? Possibly. :confused:

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
Classic rant, all true and I for one salute you for having the balls to say it.:thumbs:

Now when I'm old and collecting my pension, I too will get up at stupid o'clock, just to stand at the front of the queue and take my time. Why because I've got nothing else better to do until Countdown.:cheese::cheese:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Sounds like one of my wife's standard rants - why do pensioners go shopping at the weekend when they have the whole of the rest of the week to do it ....
:)

·
Registered
354 Posts
Being retired and in need of stamps I went to the Post Office at 2.45 this afternoon only to find it full of young mums with toddlers posting their Christmas cards before picking up the older kids from school.

What is wrong with these people? Have they no consideration for others?? :rant: and similar pointless ranting.....

·
Registered
10,019 Posts
Being retired and in need of stamps I went to the Post Office at 2.45 this afternoon only to find it full of young mums with toddlers posting their Christmas cards before picking up the older kids from school.

What is wrong with these people? Have they no consideration for others?? :rant: and similar pointless ranting.....
:cheese: :lol: :cheese:

·
Registered
16,897 Posts
Hi Philz,

I do have some sympathy for them. Ok, maybe sympathy’s the wrong word, but I sort of understand why they do it.

My nan gets up at 5am every morning. Always has, and I suspect, always will. At 8.00am, she’s already at her appointment at the doctors/dentists/osteopath/optician etc (if you want to know who that person is that always gets that elusive 8am slot with our friends in the medical profession, it’s my nan. Always). Doctor’s appointment done (at which point she’ll remember she was actually have meant to see the dentist, and not the doctor), she has to get to the supermarket for fresh fish. Because you can’t trust fish if you buy it in the afternoon.

Come the afternoon, she’ll remember to go to the local independent convenience store, to tell them off for ripping her off earlier, because their tea bags are 5 pence more than Tesco, and she’s a pensioner (albeit one with no grasp of the economies of scale). The rest of the afternoon will be spent booking the next lot of 8am appointments, before settling down to Emmerdale and going to bed at 8pm.

You’ve got to remember that some – not all old people – get a little unsteady as they get older. The familiarity of their fixed little routines probably gives them some comfort at a time in their lives when maybe they are suffering declining health and faculties, and are worried about what’s lurking around the corner for them...

So yeah, it narks me a bit, but not that much. :)

·
Registered
10,884 Posts
God help the young ones 10-15 15-30 30-40 40-50 and 50-65 when yooze lot are auld and wet the bed and need to go shopping and posting when you can...thats all @I can say God help them:cheese:...I wont be here to find out.:lol:

Pomeo

Tip to kep you young ...Hate everyone every section of society etc..then you dont get stressed and live to an old age to annoy everyone:tut::cheese:

·
Registered
10,019 Posts
Tip to kep you young ...Hate everyone every section of society etc..then you dont get stressed and live to an old age to annoy everyone:tut::cheese:
I often wondered why the wife keeps calling me Victor :rant: :lol:

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
You rant reminded me of this old one!

Working people frequently ask retired people what they do to make their days
interesting.

Well, for example, the other day my wife and I went into town and went into
a shop. We were only in there for about 5 minutes. When we came out, there
was a policeman writing out a parking ticket. We went up to him and said,
"Come on officer, how about giving a couple of pensioners a break?"

He ignored us and continued writing the ticket. I told him we could barely
make ends meet and begged him to stop. He shrugged and carried on. I called
him a disgrace and asked if this is what I fought in the war for. Then I'm
afraid to say I called him a rude name. He glared at me and started writing
another ticket for having worn tyres. My wife got really upset and called
him an even ruder name. He finished the second ticket and put it on the
windscreen with the first, and started writing a third ticket. This went on
for about 20 minutes. The more we abused him, the more tickets he wrote.

We didn't care. We came into town by bus. We try to have a little fun each
day now that we're retired. It's important at our age.

R

·
0 Posts

interesting.

:lol::cheese::lol:

·
Registered
1,925 Posts

interesting.

That's brilliant :D

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Hi Philz,

I do have some sympathy for them. Ok, maybe sympathy’s the wrong word, but I sort of understand why they do it.

My nan gets up at 5am every morning. Always has, and I suspect, always will. At 8.00am, she’s already at her appointment at the doctors/dentists/osteopath/optician etc (if you want to know who that person is that always gets that elusive 8am slot with our friends in the medical profession, it’s my nan. Always). Doctor’s appointment done (at which point she’ll remember she was actually have meant to see the dentist, and not the doctor), she has to get to the supermarket for fresh fish. Because you can’t trust fish if you buy it in the afternoon.

Come the afternoon, she’ll remember to go to the local independent convenience store, to tell them off for ripping her off earlier, because their tea bags are 5 pence more than Tesco, and she’s a pensioner (albeit one with no grasp of the economies of scale). The rest of the afternoon will be spent booking the next lot of 8am appointments, before settling down to Emmerdale and going to bed at 8pm.

You’ve got to remember that some – not all old people – get a little unsteady as they get older. The familiarity of their fixed little routines probably gives them some comfort at a time in their lives when maybe they are suffering declining health and faculties, and are worried about what’s lurking around the corner for them...

So yeah, it narks me a bit, but not that much. :)
Your right, cos thats my Nan too! :lol:

·
Registered
44 Posts
My friend's OH used to work as a receptionist at the dentist, she said the pensioners used to insist of getting the early morning later afternoon appointments, (the ones I’m supposed to get or the boss tells me off) as there was more buses due to the rush hour with people going to/leaving work!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts