Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to change the engine oil myself the other day, but I couldn't get the sump plug off (with every tool you can possibly think of). It got to the point of breaking a stainless steel spanner in the process.
Few members in the forum mentioned about accidental stripping of the sump plug or the container. That worried me a little so I decided to step back and think of an alternative way to remove the oil from the engine. I read some where about an oil extractor that is commonly used by many BMW and Benz dealers. I didn't know if it would work for my car, but I decided to give it a try anyway.
I bought a Pela oil extractor for $60AUS and I think it is one of the best car tool I've ever purchased in my life. Here's why. I was able to remove the oil from the engine in 10 mins. I didn't spill anything in the garage or under the bonnet. NO, I don't work for the Pela company. As a matter of fact, I was a little suspicious about the product before purchasing it. But since it only costed 2 figures, i decided to give it a go anyway.

I apologize for writing up an essay about this topic, but I hope I can help someone who faces the same misfortune...removing an over tightened sump plug is a b*tch and there's no doubt about that. Just remember that there's an alternative way of removing the oil from the engine.

cheers!

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
Is this the tool that goes down the dipstick pipe and sucks the oil up?

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
Silly me ... Googled it and answered my own question ... yes it is ... ;)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes, a thin tube goes through the dipstick pipe and sucks the oil up. You should warm the engine for 5 mins before using the oil extractor :)

·
Registered
42,278 Posts
As SymonH said on previous posts, sump plug out is preferable to get all of the old oil removed. The other method is a compromise.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As SymonH said on previous posts, sump plug out is preferable to get all of the old oil removed. The other method is a compromise.

I agree with you Zulu. This method is an alternative method if you have trouble removing the sump plug nut.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I once over filled the oil accidentally, so had to siphon it out using a really thin tube down the dipstick as I'm 150 miles away from my Dad and a Jack/Axle Stands... took hours just to drain about 200-300ml out. Although it was just as winter set in so that wouldn't have helped at all. And oil tastes bloody horrible!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I once over filled the oil accidentally, so had to siphon it out using a really thin tube down the dipstick as I'm 150 miles away from my Dad and a Jack/Axle Stands... took hours just to drain about 200-300ml out. Although it was just as winter set in so that wouldn't have helped at all. And oil tastes bloody horrible![/QUOTE

yeah i guess siphon works as well, but it would be difficult to suck out really thick oil.

As for the taste of oil, I wouldn't know:rolleyes:

·
Registered
29,994 Posts
I changed my oil using an extractor a few weeks ago.
I was sceptical that it would be able to get it all out, but it worked very well and didn't leave anything behind.

·
Registered
42,278 Posts
I've changed her oil and filter,(eighteen quid including the new filter and new plug washer with 3.8 litres of Magnatec) and as it has my DIY magnetic attachment :D I like to wipe any 'whiskers' off the plug?)

No whiskers this time around :thumbs: down to my obsession with changing the oil and filter so very, very, frequently. Time on my hands you see? :lol: If she owned a Smart,(told her no way!!!) I'd make her use that suck out tool, and I'd wish her a few broken nails too, for getting a not so Smart motor against my wishes.;) :lol:

·
Registered
29,994 Posts
My plan was to be able to change oil and filter without removing the undertray.
Oil went fine, but I couldn't get enough swing on my filter tool. So the undertray had to off for that.
But it was worth a try and I'll dig my other filter tool out of the shed for next time.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was sceptical that it would be able to get it all out, but it worked very well and didn't leave anything behind.
:thumbs: glad to hear that. I've changed my oil about 2 times since last February and haven't spilled a drop of dirty oil in my garage yet :)

·
Registered
42,278 Posts
Strap with bar and socket

Used the hexagonal slotted bar with the webbing as a torniquet on the 147, with one of those stiff plastic trays,(microwave proof packaging?) lodged on the undertray to catch the residue from the filter? Bit awkward laying on my back, but that's how I did regularly.:): Bit of a lash up, blob welded on socket, needed in a tearing rush as always? :D but used for years on all canister type filters, and never ever failed me once. Straps getting a bit frayed now? :lol:

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Why does everyone seem to have to use a tool to remove filter???

It is only supposed to be hand tight.

I clean the outside with degreaser, put on a marigold onto my right hand and twist.

Job done!

·
Registered
29,994 Posts
Why does everyone seem to have to use a tool to remove filter???

It is only supposed to be hand tight.

I clean the outside with degreaser, put on a marigold onto my right hand and twist.

Job done!
You must have a super strong right hand Rob... ;)

Yes they go on hand tight, but I've never been able to remove one without tools.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I must have a strong right hand as well , must be because it get's lots of use lol, I like the idea of the extractor can anyone recommend Which one will do the job without going for the most exspensive?

·
0 Posts
Until I had read that you had used an extractor, I would never have considered using one myself - TBH I thought you would have been near the last on the list of folk who would use this method

·
Registered
42,278 Posts
Even using my torniquet sometimes they are so tight the canister gets crushed a bit in the process. Hand tight on, seized tight off! :D

·
Registered
37,145 Posts
Bit late on this, but how did you know it was all out David, did you take the sump off after or just unscrew the plug?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Bit late on this, but how did you know it was all out David, did you take the sump off after or just unscrew the plug?
you can measure how much came out by reading the gauge on the collecting tank. You wouldn't be able to get 100% out even if you took off the sump plug and drained the oil from the bottom. Little amount of residue will always remain unless you took off the sump container and cleaned it that way

1 - 20 of 25 Posts