Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Engine coolant temp circuit malfunction
Just had this come on my diagnostics machine. It comes and goes so I'm guessing it's a connection
Is this an easy fix or garage job?

·
Registered
2010 Giulietta 2.0 JTDm2
1,094 Posts
Which engine? Does the guage still work? Does the diagnostic read a temperature?

It could just be the connector to the coolant temp sensor, or a failed sensor.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's the 2.0 petrol. The gauge still works I just had a look under the bonnet and it was above the max so I just took some out to the max line. It's comes and goes I just have the basic code reader so won't go into much detail.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Sounds more like a sensor is borked.
Water cam virtually be past the max and it will just push it out of the overflow.

·
Registered
2010 Giulietta 2.0 JTDm2
1,094 Posts
If it's a CF3 (plastic rocker cover, two precats in the exhaust) the sensor screws into the thermostat housing. To the right of the engine as you look at it; follow the hose back from the top of the radiator to the thermostat housing.

You can buy the sensor seperately for not much.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys.
I think there must the electrical fairies at work my petrol gauge keeps flicking empty and back to where it was all the time. The diagnostic machine don't pick this up is it worth getting on Laptop to find out properly what's going on as I'm no sparky or mechy

·
Registered
2010 Giulietta 2.0 JTDm2
1,094 Posts
It could be a dodgy earth. Do any of the other guages play up as well? I wouldn't know where to start looking for the earths for the guages though. And it's about an hour's work to get the centre dash out to even change a bulb!

Another thought - how good is your battery. I've seen threads suggesting that a dying battery, while still good enough to start and run the car, can cause electrical gremlins.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Battery is good had it checked today. So over weekend I'm going to ask a mate to just help me clean the connectors and make sure they are all ok.

·
Registered
2010 Giulietta 2.0 JTDm2
1,094 Posts
It's a pain trying to track fun intermittent electrical faults. Plus you never know whether one is connected to the other - the fuel guage fault might be completely seperate to the temp circuit issue.

I guess it could be a dodgy connection at the sender. That'll probably live under the back seat base. It could just be a broken wire there. Or it might be the guage itself of course.

Good luck - and don't forget to come back and post the solution when you find it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts