Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all my Lusso JTD 1.9 diesel runs great all year, until the frost appears. Last year when I first got the car it was horrible to start on a morning if the temperature was less than 3 degrees celcius and many times flattened the battery before starting.

A new battery was got, but still it struggled. In summer this year I had it fully serviced and all the glow plugs replaced, hoping this winter it would fire first time. No such luck. The car can stand 8 hours at work in the frost and snow, but start ok. However everytime it is left overnight in cold conditions it will not start for upto 10 minutes and only then with a booster battery to increase the turnover of the engine. Once it fires up it is ok. Can stop it straight away and it will refire on the first turn of the key.

Has anyone any ideas why, or is it just the italian nature of the vehicle?

:confused:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes Heavy duty Bosch, but the battery is fine, just by the time the car starts when it is cold it does take it's toll on the battery, but like I say this problem only seems to occur when the air temperature is below 3 celcius?

It does not happen when above 3 C even if the car is not run for a week...........

·
Registered
9,207 Posts
Heavy Duty doesn't mean it's the right one. What's the label say? Amp/hr's, etc. It could be a heavy duty battery but not powerful enough to start a diesel.

It could also be faulty .. it's not unheard of for a new battery to fail in winter.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Check the CCA and output values of your battery (maybe it's heavy duty for a petrol but not for the diesel) and you can also try double heating the glow plugs before cranking the engine (turn the key without cranking the engine and let the glow plug light go out, the turn the key back to off and back to warm the plugs again before cranking).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is no issue with the battery, even on boost the engine turns slow for the first 2 or 3 times then picks up speed after, it does this with the booster and also without, as regards the glow plugs I have tried 1 to 10 heating before trying to fire the car with no better results. It seems slow to turn over when cold like the battery is flat, but after a few trys the engine speed increases until after about 5 to 6 times of half a minute or so it gets going with a stutter and then is fine. As the glowplugs have been replaced can the issue be related to the oil pre-heater???

1 - 6 of 6 Posts