Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
37,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A new one on me but it would appear to have been around a while.

I had a call yesterday from a concerned chap, judging by his voice possibly in India, who wanted to talk to me as there "was a problem with my computer on the windows network".

Naturally I suspected something a bit suss and kept him on the 'phone for a good 15 minutes whilst having a bit of sport;

"Which key do you mean, the one on the left or the one on the right?"

"Errrr,.......which line? No I can't see it"

"Hold on, I need to go and get it, just hold....."

"Is that 'N' as in Nerk or 'M' as in Moron"

"Did you say 'P' for plank or 'B' for b******s?"

Anyway after I got bored I said "no, all I can see is the Google search result for 'thieving scammer trying to dump a load of shite software on your PC" and, oddly, he hung up.:confused:

Any road up, seems like they are still giving it a go so watch out. They asking you to run "assoc" from the command line to "prove" the ID of your computer - it doesn't but it is convincing. They try and read back the
.zfsendtotarget=CLSID\{888DCA60-FC0A-11CF-8F0F-00C04FD7D062}
line to convince you they can "see" your PC> :rolleyes:

Article on Guardian blog here and lots of stuf on't web about it.

'Microsoft support centre' scam continues, and takes turn for worse | Technology | guardian.co.uk

I don't usually post this sort of stuff but I have a newish 'phone number so they are obviously active.

See who can keep 'em the 'phone the longest. I managed 14:58 :D

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Well played :lol:, feel for the vunerable kind out there :mad:

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
I've had two of these recently.

First one claimed that he had obtained information that my computer was infected. When I asked where this information had come from, he said " from the master server". I questioned him for a few minutes about this "master server", where it is located, etc. . . he hung up.

The second time, I asked where he had got my phone number from. He claimed Microsoft; a long conversation ensued during which he repeatedly claimed I had give Microsoft my phone number when I registered the computer with them & I repeatedly assured him that Microsoft did not have my phone number. Eventually I asked him if I could make a suggestion, that he was an effing little liar. . . for some strange reason he hung up!

Nowhere near 15 minutes on either occasion, but I wasted a fair bit of their time - the more time I waste, the less time they have to phone other, more gullible, people.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I usually aim for a little shame. I ask if their mother is proud of them having a good job, and then wonder if mum knows they are a criminal!.They do not like that.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
They tried it on my parents but I answered the second time and let them waffle for a bit then asked them if they knew so much about my laptop what version of windows am I running and how much RAM does it have. He said - oh there's no need to be like that.
So I said stop the Bull**** and don't call again and he hung up.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Just had another - another 12 minutes of their time wasted!

They claim to be a company called "Redout IT Solutions" based "in UK" - funny, they all sound very Indian to me. When I pressed for an address the "technician" said "Buckingham Palace Road" . . . very imaginative!

I asked them what my IP was, what OS I'm using, etc. . . couldn't tell me, so I was passed on to a "technician"

When th drew a blank with Event Viewer - I told him that no errors had been logged - he asked me to go into the prefetch folder. According to the "expert" prefetch files are unwanted files which will slow your hard disk down & eventually cause it to crash! He then asked me to open my home page & said that at the top it would say www.**** - I needed to clear that & type in the URL for teamview (or teamviewer, I didn't write it down) & he would tell me the errors my computer was sending to the "global server". At this point I asked him if he thought I was a ******* idiot . . . sorta went downhill from there!

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I managed nearly 40 minutes with one of these chappies. I really rather enjoyed myself.
"Hang on, so what's the difference between a desk top and a lap top?"
"ooo, I think I have a desk top, it's on my desk anyway"
"I put paper in my desk top? What sort does that make it?"
"PC? Hang on, what's one of those?"
"It's got an apple on it"

Thieving scum bags. I'm registered on the TPS, so after spending that much time winding the guy up, I asked to speak to his manager (which I wasn't able to do, but of course, I could ring back) to inform them they had contacted me illegally and I would be reporting them.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
I managed nearly 40 minutes with one of these chappies.
40 minutes! That's going to take some beating.

I've reported them to the TPS, but I'm not sure that it will have any effect, as although they claim to be UK-based I'm pretty sure they are calling from India. The company name & address they are giving is fictitious, they claim to be a Microsoft subsidiary despite no trace of such a company existing on any Microsoft website - in short, they are just telling a pack of lies.

What does concern me is that despite having been ex-directory for at least ten years they are still able to obtain my name & phone number.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I have had several of these calls.
Last time I tried to really have some fun,

I saw a youtube comedian sketch about him prentending to be a officer of the law and had some fun with mister india running the scam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7OgWcwgB50

After he asked to confirm my name I told him to hold on for a second then prentended to tell someone in the room not to touch the body until the medical exasminer appeared.
Then I asked him how he knew the victim (gave a made up name) and when he said that he didn't I asked why was he calling.

When he tried to say he was calling me I said did he think I was stupid and did he know the trouble he was in messing with the police.

So much fun getting him to tell me where he was as his call had now been traced as he was a potential suspect in a murder inquiry.

I did this for a while asking him why he was calling the victim and all the time he is trying to say he was calling me. Panic panic.

Then I had to have a final laugh when I told him that I had to ask him something delicate and its a brave new world out there so I was not without understanding.
I told him that the victim was gay and asked if he was the gay lover.
The poor chap was in sheer denial.

Alan

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
40 minutes! That's going to take some beating.
I work from home, so was able to whack the boy on speaker and sit doing some work, which of course sounded like I was following his instructions. I hadn't had much social interaction that day either...

What does concern me is that despite having been ex-directory for at least ten years they are still able to obtain my name & phone number.
This. Very, very worrying.

C

·
0 Posts
I have had several of these calls.
Last time I tried to really have some fun,

I saw a youtube comedian sketch about him prentending to be a officer of the law and had some fun with mister india running the scam.

After he asked to confirm my name I told him to hold on for a second then prentended to tell someone in the room not to touch the body until the medical exasminer appeared.
Then I asked him how he knew the victim (gave a made up name) and when he said that he didn't I asked why was he calling.

When he tried to say he was calling me I said did he think I was stupid and did he know the trouble he was in messing with the police.

So much fun getting him to tell me where he was as his call had now been traced as he was a potential suspect in a murder inquiry.

I did this for a while asking him why he was calling the victim and all the time he is trying to say he was calling me. Panic panic.

Then I had to have a final laugh when I told him that I had to ask him something delicate and its a brave new world out there so I was not without understanding.
I told him that the victim was gay and asked if he was the gay lover.
The poor chap was in sheer denial.

Alan
I'm going to have to remember that for when 'Alan' from 'Microsoft Technical Services' rings me again :D

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
I've heard the councils sell phone numbers?

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
An interesting twist on this. This morning I've had a call (25 minutes, I'm getting better!) from what appears to be a legitimate company, called Qmen Solutions Ltd. The caller went to great lengths to give me full details - phone number, address, even number under which the company is registered. From then on everything went down the old familiar route, up to the point where the "technician" hung up on me when I asked a difficult question!

May be a legitimate company, but this time I've got full details for the TPS report!

25 minutes with them, 15 minutes with Jehovah's Witnesses. . . I've had a good morning!

·
Registered
934 Posts
They will have stolen a legit companys details and just be using that probably...

I dont have the spare time or stamina to go through this rigamarole... I believe the TPS only works for UK companies, it doesnt apply to India ... so pointless telling them about especially as these are criminals anyway ...

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
They will have stolen a legit companys details and just be using that probably...
That was my thinking, but the number he gave me was the same as on the legitimate company's website, which I went to via a Yahoo search, not the URL he gave me. The somewhat heated conversation I had when I rang them did confirm that the call came from them, via India. Legitimate or not, no way is anyone who makes an unsolicited phone call going to be granted remote access to my computer!

I dont have the spare time or stamina to go through this rigamarole... I believe the TPS only works for UK companies, it doesnt apply to India ... so pointless telling them about especially as these are criminals anyway ...
From the TPS website:

"Companies based abroad who call into the UK and who are making calls on behalf of a UK based company, must comply with UK regulations and screen their call lists against TPS before making an unsolicited sales and marketing call to a UK telephone number."

So, in this instance, TPS rules apply.

·
Registered
6,454 Posts
I've heard the councils sell phone numbers?
I believe the government sell your details on now :sideways: (I hope I'm wrong!)

I had a call from 01234 567890 say there was a virus on my system and that they were from MS so they know, next time I'll keep them on the line for as long as possible.

There must be something we can do to stop all this harassment from happening :mad:

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I believe the government sell your details on now :sideways: (I hope I'm wrong!)

I had a call from 01234 567890 say there was a virus on my system and that they were from MS so they know, next time I'll keep them on the line for as long as possible.

There must be something we can do to stop all this harassment from happening :mad:

The DVLA will happily sell your details to anyone who has the cash. The councils sell your electoral role details unless you 'opt out' by ticking the box on the registration form. Needless to say by default you are 'opted in'.

I think it is absolutely disgusting that government depts and the councils can 'legally' sell your details. They will clearly stoop as low as necessary in order to make a fast buck.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Not new and not good. Mother in law was taken in that they had access to her PC and was very p****d off, end results was they tried to sell three different software packages on dd over 3 or 5 years. Also well known try the radio 4 link:

BBC News - Today - How to spot PC virus scam

amused me. Nearly as bad as the "have you been mis sold a PPI gang, even get them calling up at work.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts