Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whoop Whoop Whoop!:jester:

I've just received my first pay rise in 5 years - a MASSIVE 1%. (after asking nicely and then having to get union's ballot their members and exercise their right to withdraw labour - which I didn't do, due to a combination of putting others needs before mine and management manipulation)

Plus a new tax code that has been introduced, allowing me approx 600 quid a year extra on my tax allowance.

So, yesterday, I was looking forward to opening my payslip and seeing a slightly raised take-home wage - As Buzzfeed etc, state far too often with their internet meme's - my heart sank.

I am actually £50 a month worse off.

Not only has my slight (some would say derisory) increase been mopped up by an increase in National Insurance contributions, It's been completely annihilated by a raise in NHS pension contributions (yep, we've been screwed over with that one too..pay in more, work until 68, die, take nothing out).

I appreciate that there are many people worse off than myself, but I certainly didn't enter this job commitment, expecting my wage to go down as I progressed.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
No. I work for a medical devices company but I feel for you, in the same boat of expecting a few extra quid a month only to actually have a fair chunk taken out!

·
Registered
6,384 Posts
Me too :(...i may have to transfer some of my Panama "savings" into my current account to make up the shortfall ;)
Wonder will Gideon allow that ??
Sure we all have our gold plated pensions to fall back on too....

·
Registered
526 Posts
The wife got a decent 3.5% increase which with the extra allowance should have seen an extra £120 a month in her wage packet. Turns out she got just £47. Yes it's a rise but no where near what we were hoping for!

·
Registered
15,801 Posts
Me too on this one. I have to go back to 2009 to get to a point where I earned less in pounds and pence than I do now. If you apply inflation, you have to go right back to 2005. I'm fortunate compared to some in that I've been in my current grade for a long time. anyone getting promoted now will never reach the level I'm at (and never isn't an exaggeration, I do mean never).

It's quite amusing to see the crisis brewing in my department that nobody seems keen to fix. At 45 I'm very much one of the youngsters. Younger people join seeing a reasonably attrative starting salary. After that they realise that the starting salary is just the salary and they are unlikely to ever move on from it. A couple of years in, with a couple of years experience, they **** off somewhere else.

The people running the place think they are getting a good blend of youth and experience but the youth don't hang around to get experience, and the experienced are approaching retirement age.

·
Vendor
46,342 Posts
Me too on this one. I have to go back to 2009 to get to a point where I earned less in pounds and pence than I do now. If you apply inflation, you have to go right back to 2005. I'm fortunate compared to some in that I've been in my current grade for a long time. anyone getting promoted now will never reach the level I'm at (and never isn't an exaggeration, I do mean never).

It's quite amusing to see the crisis brewing in my department that nobody seems keen to fix. At 45 I'm very much one of the youngsters. Younger people join seeing a reasonably attrative starting salary. After that they realise that the starting salary is just the salary and they are unlikely to ever move on from it. A couple of years in, with a couple of years experience, they **** off somewhere else.

The people running the place think they are getting a good blend of youth and experience but the youth don't hang around to get experience, and the experienced are approaching retirement age.
Sounds a bit like the motor trade. What's your line of work?

·
Administrator
23,081 Posts
NIC is just a way of increasing what you pay in tax. It does not go towards paying for your state pension (if you live long enough) but just goes into the general state coffers.

Sure - they have increased your tax tax allowance by £600 - worth £120 or £10 a month at basic rate but NIC for most workers has increased by more than that.

Who on earth voted these jokers in?

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
A colleague, when told by our smiling boss he had been awarded a 1% increment, replied: "That's not an increment, that's an excrement."

1 - 20 of 29 Posts