Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll never bother with them again!!

If I'd known how much time and effort I'd be spending sorting out the Mondeo's bumper....well, I'd have just left it with the hole in it:rant:

I appreciate that trim designs change over time, and that you don't get something for nothing in this life......but, £40 for the bumper, £100 getting it painted (kinda mates rates), 3 hours spent prepping it before I took it to be painted, and several 'hours' struggling to get the poxy thing to fit.....and it 'still' isn't done:mad:

I need to fabricate some brackets to hold the leading edges in properly.....currently they are inches out of line, and because the bumper isn't the right shape, a simple self tapper won't do the job as there is too much tension in the plastic.

I'll make it fit....if I'm out there on Christmas day, in the freezing cold, I'll make it fit.......but equally I can think of far better things to be doing with my time :rant:

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Been there, done that. I spent about 3 days getting a Mini front wing to fit before welding it in place once. With a Mini, part of the issue is that they made them for so long, and build quality was so crap at times, that not all the shells are exactly the same shape. A panel that fits one car perfectly can be a mile out and a very expensive heritage panel can be a wrose fit than a cheapo motor factor one. That shouldn't be an issue with a Mondeo though.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The basic problem mate.....is that the bumper I bought isn't 100% the right shape, and doesn't have the correct fixing brackets. Stupid me thought that it would be the same as the original....more or less.

I realise now why so many are gaffa taped up.....they really aren't worth the aggro or expense.

New Ford items are crazy money, and cheap eBay items don't fit......without extreme surgery.

·
Registered
37,776 Posts
My dad is thinking of getting a pair of pattern front wings for his BMW 3 series.

I bet they won't fit all that well either, and I have told him he probably better off getting the old ones repaired.

(They are rusty on the lip of the arch)

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What about 2nd hand man?
There is a fundamental problem with Mondeos like mymatemarmite's. Or possibly two fundamental problems. The first is that the skin on the bumper is very thin. It's flexible up to a point but then it shatters into a million pieces. What makes this more of an issue is that that shape of Mondeo has the most **** poor rear visibility of any car I've ever driven so plenty of them get damaged.

·
Registered
37,776 Posts
Most Mondeo bumpers these days have been repaired with Gaffa tape.

In fact around here it is almost a standard feature.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like symons fix :D Or just fiberglass the **** outta the old bumper and fix it like that, like the drifters do by drilling holes in it to stop it cracking more and the fiberglass it.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
I don't understand why you didn't just get a bumper from a scrapy 4m? You were going to paint it anyway so you could have got a good genuine one you'd know fitted for probably a similar price. Plus you should always test fit first to make sure there aren't any issues. Sorry to tell you how to suck eggs mate.:( anyway hope you get it sorted and maud lives to fight another day with her shiny new bumper :thumbs: :)

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What about 2nd hand man?
Probably would have been my best option.... I'll know now for when someone hits the front bumper:lol:

My dad is thinking of getting a pair of pattern front wings for his BMW 3 series.

I bet they won't fit all that well either, and I have told him he probably better off getting the old ones repaired.

(They are rusty on the lip of the arch)
Sound advice mate:thumbs:

I don't understand why you didn't just get a bumper from a scrapy 4m? You were going to paint it anyway so you could have got a good genuine one you'd know fitted for probably a similar price. Plus you should always test fit first to make sure there aren't any issues. Sorry to tell you how to suck eggs mate.:( anyway hope you get it sorted and maud lives to fight another day with her shiny new bumper :thumbs: :)
Live and learn I guess. I was naive enough to think that a pattern part would at least be the correct fundamental shape:(
After having another look, there really isn't enough metal work there for a bracket to attach to, so I think it's going to be a case of drilling a hole and using a bolt/nut/washer to hold the wheel arch ends of the bumper in place. I'll search around for a couple of rubber caps to hide the exposed bolt. It won't be how I wanted it, but it'll still look better than the old one with a massive hole.:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Can you not fix it like alfa fix the 156 wing? You know as in two bolts up the inside through the lip in the wing and the lip on the bumper?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can you not fix it like alfa fix the 156 wing? You know as in two bolts up the inside through the lip in the wing and the lip on the bumper?
Unfortunately there isn't any metal in the right place to hide the bolts that way.
However, it's all done now, and the bolts aren't too bad as they are only 10 mm tops.
With a little dust cap on they'll look fine.:thumbs:

Maud rolls on.....in her new skirt:lol:

·
Banned
4,362 Posts
Dropped a similar clanger myself Amigo :rolleyes:

Ordered a rear diffuser for the MiTo from an Itie tuning company cost an arm and
a leg plus postage :eek:

Said diffuser arrives and the only way I can see it fitting is by removing the inner
steel box section that protects the petrol tank in the event of a rear ender :confused:

Not recommended methinks :tut: Looks like a busy weekend ahead with a hacksaw :lol:

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Ordered a rear diffuser for the MiTo from an Itie tuning company cost an arm and

Said diffuser arrives and the only way I can see it fitting is by removing the inner
steel box section that protects the petrol tank in the event of a rear ender :confused:

Not recommended methinks :tut: Looks like a busy weekend ahead with a hacksaw :lol:
It's a lesson learned for me mate....I've not had to replace a bumper before:eek:

Good luck with fitting your go faster rear end my friend:thumbs:

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Get thi'sen a cheap angle grinder.;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts