Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drivers side is ok, I have a complete loom spare that I have familiarised myself with and powered up and all works ok.
I have swapped switches and the relay and there is no difference.
I ended up just applying 12v and earth to the yellow wires on the passenger switch, to get it up and tackle later.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
So, you know the motor's good, it's just not getting power. You also know the wiring between the switch and the motor's not damaged (often it gets broken where it passes between the door and car body).
At this point I'd go straight to the fusebox.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The loom for the windows has its own fused relay and is powered a 12v fat red wire, the relay is powered by an ignition live pink wire, so there is power :)
2 red/black wires go to both switches, there is an earth return for the relay and an earth for the driver side switch.

The driver’s side switch has 6 wires
green/black = drivers window down, goes to drivers window motor
green = drivers window up, goes to drivers window motor
blue/black = passenger window down, goes to passenger switch
blue = passenger window up, goes to passenger switch
red/black = power from relay
black = earth

The passenger has 5 wires
yellow/black = passenger window down, goes to passenger window motor
yellow = passenger window up, goes to passenger window motor
blue/black = passenger window down, comes from drivers side switch
blue = passenger window up, comes from drivers side switch
red/black, power from relay.

There should be 12v on the passenger yellow wire when the passenger up button is pressed and 12v on the passenger blue wire when the up button is pressed on the drivers switch. The 12v is not there.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Hi Al,

After redirected from the other thread :)
I think the resistance should be checked (with a multimeter) between the light blue/black wire terminals
of the driver and passenger side switch connectors, then do the same with the light blue ones.
In order to get correct results both window switches needs to be disconnected from the loom.
If any of these connections fails (or the resistance is greater than 5 Ohms) that can
cause the window movement problem.

PS: Does the backlight of the passenger side window switch operate when the ignition is turned on?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again lonewolf, I was just going to do a continuity check between those wires, i will check the resistance. I guess it must be in the loom and I was going to wire in my spare loom temporarily and then possibly swap them over, if I can’t find the problem, but that’s giving up in my mind
Yes the switch light does come on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I seem to remember selling alot of window switches for these when i worked in an alfa romeo parts department at the age of 17. I'm 33 now so forgoten quite alot over the years

1 - 9 of 9 Posts