Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a wee search on this forum and there's nothing quite as specific as my snag.

OK, I know it's been a bit cold and I've had the odd issue with frozen locks in the past, but this is different.

Saturday - car covered in snow. Cleared snow, used fob to open doors, no problems for a change. Opened boot externally. Closed boot. Locked car. 1 hour later, doors still opening fine, but can't get into the boot - the key just wouldn't turn enough. Tried it later with a different key and got in, no problem. Been working fine ever since with normal key.

Sunday - open doors using fob, no problems. Drive from Derby to Glasgow. Get out. Use fob to lock doors. Car won't lock.

1) Lock doors manually. Drivers door button goes down, but quickly pops back up. Passenger door lock appears stuck, it just won't go down, even when I use the key manually from that side or try to look the doors from inside the car.

2) There are no lights to show that any of the doors inc the boot are open.

I'll have another bash tonight and get liberal with the WD40. Suspect my great idea about spraying de-icer into the lock mechanism may be the issue here.

Any bright ideas anyone? Regarding taking the door panel off as a last resort.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
silicone spray everywhere loads of it into locks and intoo door mechanism everything

dont use WD40 its not as good

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
Yes, that sounds like you're just moving water around inside the locks and then it froze up.

Use a spray of WD40 but just a touch to get it slippy. It contains kerosene which is marginally oily but it evaporates off pretty quickly.

Once you have the lock "wet", stuff a load of LM grease into it. It will partially dissolve in the WD40 and slip into the moving parts, if you work the lock mechanism a few times.

If you have spray white grease (aerosol) then that also does the job in a single can.. since it has a solvent to help the grease flow and then evaporate out. Spray in as much as you can, leave it a bit and then do it again.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
953 Posts
this is a problem suffered mainly in the winter months, mine is currently playing up.
I think moisture gets in the electrics giving confusing signals.
The system is thinking a door is not shut, when in fact it is so the central locking unlocks again immediately.
You can reset it by opening, closing, locking and unlocking the doors manually and then trying the button.
But as the others said, spray in some lube to diperse the moisture first.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorted in about 2 minutes with a can of WD40 I had in the garage. Quick squirt around, getting it as deep into the mechanism as I could, let it settle for a few minutes then manually activated the lock. Clicked shut first time with a definite click and then operated normally.

Cheers for the help. Will follow up with the grease options over the weekend when I can see what I'm doing.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The WD40 lasted about a day before the problem re-occurred. Bought a can of white grease spray today which worked immediately and will hopefully square away the drama once and for all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts