Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Current steed is a GTV but I'm looking at a Brera. I saw quite a nice one on Saturday but the passenger airbag light, in the roof panel, was on permanently. There are no lights on the dash or beeps on start up. Since the owner doesn't have kiddies, I doubt if this is deliberate and suspect a problem. Hence some dumb newbie questions:

Surely this is an MOT fail?
Why on earth did they put it up there or did they know it would fail so put it out of the MOT Man's eye line?
I suspect there has been a fail warning which has been bodged by turning off the passenger airbag and clearing the codes. Does this make sense?
Is there just one airbag in the dash or others in the door/A pillar?
Presumably, with no warnings on the dash, the circuit is good as far as the key switch so the points of failure are the switch, which we can test with a circuit tester, the airbag which we can test with a substitute resistor (how big?) or the wire in between? anything I have missed?
How much of a nightmare is it to get the dash apart?

It's a good one otherwise and I might even get a few quid off but it's hard to diagnose a car you can't touch so knowledgeable help appreciated.

·
Registered
567 Posts
ill have a look tonight at my car, ive never noticed an airbag light on above me

if you open the passenger door, you can use the key to turn on and off the airbag so tha might be a first check

im sure if there was an actual fault it would be on the dash, i have taken lots of breras apart and the airbag warning light comes on sometimes, but it always clears itself (still safe, its just when you take seats out etc it disconnects the airbags)

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
If it’s same as a 159 it will come up on the dash if there’s a fault,get a message on display and light on.
I am sure the ceiling mounted light is if it’s been deactivated for when you put a baby seat in.

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
Try the key in the airbag switch, (its positioned on the dash side on passenger door entry) or if it aint local enough, ask for a picture of the key position (it will either be in activated/ deactivated position. If it don't switch the light off....(on start up, the warning light should flash about 5 times while it does its check and then go out)….then walk away, there's others out there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The airbag looking light thing in the roof panel is the emergency stop for the roof panel :) It's to stop it from closing on your hands/head if something is in the way. All of the airbag lights are in the dashboard and should appear on startup

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spoke to my MOT man and it isn't a fail, they are not allowed to change the vehicle so simply pass it regardless of the fact that they aren't testing one of the key safety features.....

Spoke to the owner, who put the key in the hole and the light goes off correctly. He just never knew.
And he's accepted my off so I should be collecting this week!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts