Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been getting airbag errors recently, relating to the passenger airbag switch. eLearn says it should just lever out once the side trim on the dashboard has been removed. Mine is reluctant to budge and I don’t want to break it - has anyone done this, and is there a trick to removing it?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I’ve been getting airbag errors recently, relating to the passenger airbag switch. eLearn says it should just lever out once the side trim on the dashboard has been removed. Mine is reluctant to budge and I don’t want to break it - has anyone done this, and is there a trick to removing it?
Solution - brute force. There are three tags around the circumference of the switch mount that need the be retracted in order to release the mount.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The reason I wanted to remove the passenger airbag switch is because I've been getting airbag errors re. the switch circuit. They've been getting more frequent. According to MES, the issue is "Interference detected/faulty signal. The switch or circuit has a defect."

The switch simply earths a signal from the airbag ECU when activated - and the functional parts of the switch mechanism are shown in the pics below.

The contacts on the bar in the first photo rotate to connect the lower plug terminal on the left of the second photo with one of the two tracks that connect to the upper plug terminal. I assume those are small resistors so that even when the switch is in the "open" position, the airbag ecu can detect that the switch is present. (Indeed, with the switch unplugged, MES reports that the switch circuit is open, rather than that the signal is faulty.)

However, when testing with a multimeter, both "circuits" to that upper terminal are fully open. Does this mean that the switch is faulty (one of those resistors gone bad?) and needs replacing... has anyone else had this issue?

If you think I'm on the right track, let me know if you have a known good switch (or even just the circuit board part) to sell!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts