Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Gt passed it's mot today with only an advisory on a front tyre.;)
Now thinking of having wheels refurbed and am wondering which colour would be best on a stromboli grey car. I fancy dark anthrecite but am open to other ideas. May get the car lowered at the same time,will lower springs and standard shocks be a viable combination?

·
Registered
953 Posts
Congratulations, my 147 passed last week wanting nothing more than a pair of windscreen wipers and to think non Alfa Owners sneer at Alfas.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I have anthracite multi-spokes on my grey 147 and am really happy with the way the darker colours go together. They seem to set the car off quite nicely. IMO (which is what matters as its my car:D)

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Its hard to say without seeing what they'd look like first. They may look the mutts nuts (good chance of it infact) but then the stromboli grey and silver 18'' multispoke combo has always been a favourite of mine.

How about lowering it first and then seeing how you feel?

If youre gonna get lowering springs on their own, the Eibach ones are probs the best ones to go for imo.

Whats the mileage of your car by the way? :)

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
51,000 miles. looking at pics iv'e seen the dark colours do look good,even better when lowered.

·
Registered
18 Posts
my 156 had its mot just b4 xmas,and i 2 was a little worried about what little pressie i was gonna end up with. 1st mot 4 car since being with me,and got made redundant in november,so last thing i needed was a failure...had replaced front tyres earlier in year and recently replaced the little tiny battery that came with the car(and was now shot)for one with some grunt..suprisingly sailed through,headlights needed little adjustment (as they were attracting aircraft)and advisory on rear brakes...top banana...then i got home and the shower was w*nkered,so any money saved on car paid for new shower unit £80.00,fairly happy xmas.off out now 2 sort squeakin brake..

·
Registered
174 Posts
Happy days gents, my 115k 2001 156 went through on saturday aswell with just an advisory on front discs. I knew it needed arb droplinks, 2 tyres and a windscreen which i sorted just in time but I was still nervous about the multitude of rubber bits underneath the front end that have the potential to ruin anyones mot day.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
headlights needed little adjustment (as they were attracting aircraft)QUOTE]

lol, i know that feeling, for a few weeks now i've been thinking how poor the main beam is on my car, didn't realizing until we had all the fog the last couple of days that one of the is actually searching the night sky fr other life forms or somethin, lol.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I was fearing the worst when my sportwagon went in for test last friday what with its squeeky wishbones (a good squirt of WD before the test) and its occasionally rattling cat but it sailed through without even an advisory,so the £400 i put aside ended up just being £40 for the test happy days! fear the worst and anything else is a bonus!!!

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
having read reviews on the eibach springs I am unsure they will be low enough for my tastes. Has anyone fitted novitec springs which should lower all round by around 40mm. is this too much and will it lead to major bottoming out problems?

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
having read reviews on the eibach springs I am unsure they will be low enough for my tastes. Has anyone fitted novitec springs which should lower all round by around 40mm. is this too much and will it lead to major bottoming out problems?
Hi P, I have driven 147 GTA's, one with the novitec and one with the eibach springs, both on std dampers and the novitecs were proper crap. the eibach's were waay better. Pabloss first fitted them (novitecs) to his car ages ago and they were so stiff it was ridiculous, you could feel every little bump/imperfection/*** end in the road, Id stay away from the novitecs. Jamie's GTA on the other hand, with the eibachs fitted, just felt more planted and tighter than std, a much better ride IMO.

If you dont want to bottom out, you are probably best off fitting uprated dampers too, and if you want to tailor the height/lowness of your car (and control bottoming out too) then coilovers may be a good idea but then the cost goes up accordingly:(:)...

:thumbs::)

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
eibachs it is then,coilovers will have to wait as refurb and 2/4 tyres are on to do list aswell.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts