Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Stelvio vs St Gothard

Hi all,

I will be driving to Milan in June, but can't decide on the best route. Was going to drive to Mullhouse in France and then cross over into Switzerland. The dilemma facing me is do I go via St Gothard's Pass, which is more direct, or do I go 100 miles further and four hours longer via the Stelvio Pass? :confused:

From what I have seen on the internet, St Gothard doesn't look nearly as thrilling a drive as Stelvio. Has anyone done both before? Are they much of a muchness, or is it worth going the extra (100 )mile and sample the delights that Stelvio has to offer? The journey on this trip is as important as the destination, so I don't mind if it takes longer, provided that it is worth the extra effort.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
I go the St Gottardo way most of the time, but then I usually have another 550 miles to go (just south of Rome), so that influences it. If I were you I would go via the Stelvio and come back via the Gottard, or vice versa. Im sure Bazza has a recommendation on which side the Stelvio is better from, use that in your decision ;)

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks PR. It will be a one way journey as I am returning via San Remo and Monte Carlo, so it makes the choice of pass all the more important. Stelvio is gaining the upper hand at the moment, though, have to say. :)

·
Registered
Porsche Cayenne Diseasel (2011)
26,164 Posts
If only going one way, the Stelvio must be the one.

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
Yes I would agree. Whilst the Gottard has some breathtaking views it is quite a "main" road and I wouldnt think has the thrill of the Stelvio

G

·
0 Posts
I plan to do the Stelvio out to Milan and then take a more direct route back to save time. But everyone says you have to expereinec the Stelvio at least once!

cheers,

Nigel

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all for your input - the decision is resoundingly in favour of Stelvio. I only hope that the road isn't choked up with cyclists and camper vans crawling slowly! Roll on June! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts