Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, the breather pipe for the power assisted steering on my 145 doesn't actually connect to anything, is this normal? See below....

At the far top left, there's a rubber pipe coming from the PAS reservoir lid. It doesn't lead to anything and doesn't seem normal, where should it lead?

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
It's not supposed to connect to anything. It's just a fluid overflow pipe. If you look at the reservoir you will see that it should clip into the "gutter" that runs around the edge of the reservoir. In that gutter is a hole under which another rubber pipe is attached that just hangs down the back of the engine. And excess fluid will be expelled from the hose in the lid, drain into the gutter, through the hole and down the pipe onto the road :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fair enough, thanks for the help guys! It's starting to perish a bit so might need replacement.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Ditto. Just leave the perished one on or take it off completely.

Your fluid should never be that high that it overflows anyway. There is a level markers inside the lid so there is no excuse for overfilling it :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't want anything to get in though. I'm sure the PAS pump wouldn't appreciate a rock! I say rock probably pebble might be a more accurate term lol.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Highly unlikely that anything will get into such a small hole on a cap which is sitting right on top of the engine. However, if you're worried then just wrap your damaged pipe with some electrical inulating tape.:)

That bit of pipe isn't listed as a separate part so you can't just buy it on it's own.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts