Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again everyone.
I have a new turbo arriving for my jtd and wanted to know what parts need cleaning as i have heard horror stories about "over run".
So far i have knowledge of cleaning the:
Intercooler,
Cat,

Pipe work perhaps?
I h ave a new air filter arriving also.
Any other ideas welcome please.

·
Registered
146 Posts
remove the intercooler and all related pipes and make sure they are clean.Exhaust is not really an issue as the oil in the system will burn off.Also make sure you change the oil and filter.Once fitted let the car warm up on idle and keep an eye on it but if all pipes are clean they the car should not run on.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brilliant. Thanks for that. Whats the best way to remove the intercooler. Would you have to remove the wing and bonnet?
What oil is best for the alfa diesel?

·
Vendor
46,146 Posts
You can take the intercooler out without removing any of the panels but it is easier to do with the front bumper removed.

As for oil, 10W40 semi synthetic and change it regularly, I do mine every 6k.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can take the intercooler out without removing any of the panels but it is easier to do with the front bumper removed.

As for oil, 10W40 semi synthetic and change it regularly, I do mine every 6k.
Cheers for that. Just bought the new filter and oil.
I am changing the front bumper any way so might as well do that at the same time.
Thanks once again.

·
Registered
231 Posts
dont forget to empty out the oil cooler. it would be distasterous if any bits were still in it and then spread throughout new oil

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers for that. Thinking I should get myself an free online workshop manual from somewhere.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
alot depends on what u mean by "blown" turbo, as shaft snapped? impellor broken? or just piston rings gone and dumping oil into exhaust.

Gary

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
alot depends on what u mean by "blown" turbo, as shaft snapped? impellor broken? or just piston rings gone and dumping oil into exhaust.

Gary
Fair comment. The turbo was already removed from the car prior to me buying it so did not see / experience the fault first hand. I have had a look at the turbo and I think the bearing has gone as the shaft is really loose.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Fair comment. The turbo was already removed from the car prior to me buying it so did not see / experience the fault first hand. I have had a look at the turbo and I think the bearing has gone as the shaft is really loose.
i asked because i assemble turbos.......there could be play if its been stood a while and oil as drained away from the journal bearing, oil is actualy the bearing that shaft runs on and when turbo as had oil pumped round it there should be no play

if u have not had a impellor failure or shaft snap then there is not much to do except make sure oil pipes are clean and oil is good, bad thick oil kills turbos

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok. Thankyou foe the info. Great help. I did see a stitcher in the engine bay saying it had a oil change less than 5000 miles ago. Maybe the wrong oil then? Just as well I am changing it.
With regards to the turbo. There was enough play for the impella to hit the housing and have burred edges!

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Hi, what about the oil feed pipe, at the least check it for flow as sometimes the inner layer can split which forces the oil between the inner and outer layers of the pipe blocking it and starving the turbo of oil.
I would be tempted to fit a new one, and make sure the banjo bolts are not blocked.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts