Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Not sure if this is a good forum to ask this question so bare with me.

I have 156 JTS 2.0 (facelift) and I love it However, down in New Zealand it is hard to get parts for those as there aren't many around. Dealers charge triple and wreckers charge pretty much same $$ for used parts that dealers want for new.

Example:
- Window regulator (used from wreckers - around $150 - new one from ebay $140 - both including shipping)
- Engine under cover (new from dealer $500 plastic, $360 used from wreckers, $55 from ebay + shipping though)
- Infocenter from dealer $1,000, wreckers never heard of it.

So as you can see I'm in a bit of a pickle. I have pretty much listed all things I would like to replace (for now)

- Steering wheel (leather has split from the sun - it is still fine to use its just the top of the steering wheel is coming off so it almost feels like my steering wheel has horns )
- LCD infocenter (fades away from the sun - not a major priority)
- Rear right window regulator (i can hear it click but window aint moving - could it be blocked?)
- Rear left window is quite slow, could be on its way out.
- Engine under cover

Probably much more to come with time. However apart from ebay I do not have any access to place where I could easily get parts with prices for shipping. Does membership to alfaownerclub give you any discount or special privileges?

Cheers guys!

Note: I have posted this thread twice. Can moderator please remove the one from car detailing. Sorry!

·
Registered
148 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Actually maybe I or another kiwi should create a group so that we can shear links and recommend good servicing mechanics (which I am yet to find) e.t.c.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually maybe I or another kiwi should create a group so that we can shear links and recommend good servicing mechanics (which I am yet to find) e.t.c.
Yeh that would be really good. I find that people try to rip me off everytime. Once you tell them that they are ripping you off they just stop replying to your emails hoping that someone else will buy parts at rate they want. :wow:

So far I was unable to locate anyone in Auckland that had both good prices and knowledge. I keep on getting ... oh you bought alfa... :rant:

·
Registered
148 Posts
I got given "oh it more complicated to put a tow bar on a European car" which is a load of crap as I had already done half the work of removing the panels for them and new exactly how to take off the bumper.

Oh by the way it is possible to make your own wiring harness using relays, if anyone’s interested I can probably do a thread on how to do that.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got given "oh it more complicated to put a tow bar on a European car" which is a load of crap as I had already done half the work of removing the panels for them and new exactly how to take off the bumper.

Oh by the way it is possible to make your own wiring harness using relays, if anyone’s interested I can probably do a thread on how to do that.
Luckily my car came with towbar! I can take few photos for you if you are unsure of something.
I'll try and track down that Cambridge company tomorrow to see if they are any good.

·
Super Moderator
916 Spider P1 Lusso
9,446 Posts
Just to let you know that I've removed your duplicate thread. One will be enough I think ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Alfa Parts famine in NZ

Hi Guys,

Not sure if this is a good forum to ask this question so bare with me.

I have 156 JTS 2.0 (facelift) and I love it However, down in New Zealand it is hard to get parts for those as there aren't many around. Dealers charge triple and wreckers charge pretty much same $$ for used parts that dealers want for new.

Example:
- Window regulator (used from wreckers - around $150 - new one from ebay $140 - both including shipping)
- Engine under cover (new from dealer $500 plastic, $360 used from wreckers, $55 from ebay + shipping though)
- Infocenter from dealer $1,000, wreckers never heard of it.

So as you can see I'm in a bit of a pickle. I have pretty much listed all things I would like to replace (for now)

- Steering wheel (leather has split from the sun - it is still fine to use its just the top of the steering wheel is coming off so it almost feels like my steering wheel has horns )
- LCD infocenter (fades away from the sun - not a major priority)
- Rear right window regulator (i can hear it click but window aint moving - could it be blocked?)
- Rear left window is quite slow, could be on its way out.
- Engine under cover

Probably much more to come with time. However apart from ebay I do not have any access to place where I could easily get parts with prices for shipping. Does membership to alfaownerclub give you any discount or special privileges?

Cheers guys!

Note: I have posted this thread twice. Can moderator please remove the one from car detailing. Sorry!
Greetings kiwi person

Have you tried Italian Auto in Saleyards Rd in Otahuhu. They are normally a pretty freindly bunch and have a good lot of Alfa parts. As you live in Auckland maybe you already have!
Trademe me dosen't seem to have much in the way of bits for Alfas,mind you I did find a brand
new Q2 diff on there a wee while back. Saved me a bunch of cash on a local dealer sourced one. Are you an AROC member,some good contacts there for stuff.

D

·
0 Posts
The rear windows might well be the regulators being seized/clogged up. Its a known problem on rears.
Might be worth trying to free them both off before ordering parts, theres a guide on here somewhere to removing them but its relatively straight forward.

Cant help with NZ suppliers tho.
Enjoy the alfa

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Greetings kiwi person

Have you tried Italian Auto in Saleyards Rd in Otahuhu. They are normally a pretty freindly bunch and have a good lot of Alfa parts. As you live in Auckland maybe you already have!
Trademe me dosen't seem to have much in the way of bits for Alfas,mind you I did find a brand
new Q2 diff on there a wee while back. Saved me a bunch of cash on a local dealer sourced one. Are you an AROC member,some good contacts there for stuff.
I think I spoke to them about infocenter replacement, helpful yes, good prices ... no.
I looked at AROC I couldn't understand what membership actually gives you apart from monthly meetings. I hoped more for a forum etc. (like VASK for VW/AUDI/SKODA Klub).

Are you a member of AROC?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The rear windows might well be the regulators being seized/clogged up. Its a known problem on rears.
Might be worth trying to free them both off before ordering parts, theres a guide on here somewhere to removing them but its relatively straight forward.

Cant help with NZ suppliers tho.
Enjoy the alfa
It doesn't have to be NZ based supplier. I don't mind if supplier is in UK or anywhere else. What I'm after is price/knowledge as I don't want to end up with wrong part half way through working on the car. :thumbs:

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
It doesn't have to be NZ based supplier. I don't mind if supplier is in UK or anywhere else. What I'm after is price/knowledge as I don't want to end up with wrong part half way through working on the car. :thumbs:
Quite often the cable rusts and prevents them moving, i dont think the is anthing to stop you from removing the cable and replacing it if the whole unit is hard to come by just make sure you take pics and note the lenght if possable.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes,am an AROC member. They have some great organised trips and you get to touch base with some like minded Alfa mad people. I have not been to a monthly meeting,your own choice how involved you want to get!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts