Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there a way of testing the element on the rear screen? with a multi meter or something else.

i only have the upper 3 or 4 lines working but none of the lowers (so i know the power is getting that far). ive seen 'repair kits' on ebay, but have never needed them so dont know how good they are or how to test it.

on one of the tracks there is a small (1-2mm) section that is black, if required ill try to get a picture. im assuming that would be the issue but would like to confirm before attempting to fix it

·
Registered
151 Posts
My 159 had this problem when it got to 10k miles. I had them replace the whole screen under warranty.

Back in days of old the electrical connections to the elements used to be on like a buss-bar system, but nowadays they're usually all done via two connections, and the rest of the element layout is bonded to the screen.

Not sure what it is on the 159, but I'll wager there is a hairline crack somewhere down one side of the element array which is preventing current from passing to the remainder of the elements. Should be possible to fix with conductive paint if you can find where the break is and the surface is properly prepared.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
i had this in my 147. masked up the break and painted the lines with that conductive paint. worked a treat.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Have the opposite, the top two/ three don't work as the dealer I bought it from had ripped off the previous dealers sticker ( and filament)!!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
perfect morning for diagnosis... ice and sunlight
active parts of the heated matrix:-
20160225_081219.jpg

and the view from inside... if you look really closely (may have to zoom in quite far) you can see on the inactive tracks that there are portions of lighter coloured track (pictured as a dark orange rather than the black compared to the rest of it.)
20160225_081232.jpg

on the top inactive track there is a circle of melted frost and an elongated portion of melted frost... this elongated part is where the small burnt piece is (also lighter when view from the inside)... i took a bit of tin foil and bridged that part of the track and that single track started working. :thumbup: result!

will be looking into and finding some kind of repair medium for these lighter parts of the track.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts