Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Weird issue today. Stopped the car for 5 mins whilst getting cash from cash machine and when i started backup it was warning me of airbag failure as well as fuel light flashing, gauge at empty, no revs, no speed, odomoeter flashing. Lights and indicators do work but there is no "clicker" and no indication on the dash. The radio gives a code error.

Car running fine, no noticeable issue with power or DNA mode (other than it doesnt show on the dash).

I've put a video on youtube https://youtu.be/tlOXIC_hvzA (sorry about dust) to try and show whats happening.

The blower controls work and the door locks etc all fine too. Not had a chance to look at fuses etc as i had to get back to work. I plugged in my bluetooth ODB diagnostics and it found no errors. I was able to use Torque to get a speed display at least to drive. Hoping it clears with a few hours of being parked but this may be wishful thinking!

Any thoughts? Car is 2.0 JTDM 61 plate with 53k miles.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Have you tried disconnecting the battery negative lead, leaving it 30 minutes before reconnecting and trying again?
Also doing the reset mode checks!

·
Registered
588 Posts
Had exactly the same issue. Posted it on here back in November but got no replies so thought I was the only one. Had to drive 80 miles with my Satnav as a speedometer. When I got home I switched the engine off for 5 mIns then restarted and all been fine since. Our 13 year old megane did the same the other day. Had to disconnect the battery to fix it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, thanks for the feedback - I did try again 15 mins after posting and it was still faulty. Went to drive home about 4 hours later and it was fully working fine first time. If it had not I would have disconnected battery.

Have started the car perhaps 5 or 6 times since with no fault so hopefully just some processor somewhere needed to sort itself out as happens with electronics.

I had been worried, happened to my first car, a corsa, about 8 years ago and it cost me £750 in labour and new dashboard. Went wrong again a few days later and turned out to be a loose wire into the body computer module. Many arguments with dealer ended in me not getting any money back as the dash could only be programmed once.

Anyway, hopefully it won't come to this with my G.

Thanks again :)

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Hi, thanks for the feedback - I did try again 15 mins after posting and it was still faulty. Went to drive home about 4 hours later and it was fully working fine first time. If it had not I would have disconnected battery.

Have started the car perhaps 5 or 6 times since with no fault so hopefully just some processor somewhere needed to sort itself out as happens with electronics.

I had been worried, happened to my first car, a corsa, about 8 years ago and it cost me £750 in labour and new dashboard. Went wrong again a few days later and turned out to be a loose wire into the body computer module. Many arguments with dealer ended in me not getting any money back as the dash could only be programmed once.

Anyway, hopefully it won't come to this with my G.

Thanks again :)
from looking at your video the flashing speedo mileage usually means you need a CanBus Proxi alignment. Did you fit any new electrical items?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,

Nothing new had been fitted other then a replacement headlight bulbs 2 days earlier (like for like Phillips halogen). I did have a look in the area thinking i may have disturbed some wiring but there wasnt anything i think i would have touched. I had wondered if somehow they had upset things but i imagined it would happen sooner than 2 days/about 30 miles of driving.

Whats your thoughts on that being a potential cause of this?

Thanks,
Stuart

1 - 6 of 6 Posts