Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Anyone breaking a 96/97 TS? in need of the "Intake Induction air pipe". They don't appear to be available new any longer.
Any thoughts would be appreciated, mines held together with tape at the moment. Running ok but not something I want to leave long term.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I recently replaced the pipe with a 76mm 45 degree silicon bend with 150mm legs and a 76mm alloy T piece with a 15mm spout for the crank filter pipe to plug back into. Total cost of parts is £24 including postage and it is unlikely to ever split again unlike the standard air intake pipe, and it looks very tidy as well :D. If you interested in this route shout and I will get you the links for the parts :). The standard pipe on a ph1 is around £40 with postage on top :-O

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
I'm interested Jimmy, please post all the links mate :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Here you go :)

Mr Silicone is the cheapest supplier and I have used them for a couple of years and are very quick with delivery and the silicon is good.

76mm 45degree 150mm legged silicone bend
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Silicone-Hose-Elbow-45-Degree-76mm-/170655574546?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Car_Care_Cleaning&hash=item27bbdd6a12

NOTE: this link is provided for the contact number, do not buy this one as its 51mm with a pyramid spout :). Ask them for a 76mm 15mm spout and they will happily make it for you at no extra cost :).
76mm Alloy T-piece 15mm spout. Phone the number on the link, the fella is really friendly and will make you a 76mm alloy t-piece with a 15mm spout. It will save you having to cut the pyramid spout. They are very quick to make and deliver as well :).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-10-13-15mm-SPOUTED-51mm-ALLOY-T-PIECE-/320812011631?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4ab1e2d06f

Obviously you will also need 3 jubilee clips or 4 if you want to replace the rubbish standard clip on the maf as well :), job done.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Derfal, did similar with mine and posted some pics below. size of the tubing I used was 76mm ID throughout.

Only thing was, I had to put a hole in the 90 degree silicone for the air temp sensor.

john

17052010137.jpg

17052010138.jpg

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I did the same as John but kept the original 90 section for the temp sensor and just replaced the torn part.

If you scour ebay or email one of the sellers, you can get a 70mm 45deg elbow that is 76mm at the other end.

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
What about engine flex/twist with this mod? The original had the ripples for a reason and not just for 90o angle but to facilitate engine twist. Are the Silicone hoses rigid?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Had an issue initially when accelerating hard, replaced the jubilee with a tighter fit and has been fine ever since.
I can second this. Doing a friends ph2 this weekend as he was so impressed with it and didnt want to pay silly prices for an inferior part :D

What about engine flex/twist with this mod? The original had the ripples for a reason and not just for 90o angle but to facilitate engine twist. Are the Silicone hoses rigid?
Been doing mods like this on all my previous cars and its never caused any problems at all. My old ZS also had a rippled pipe to facilitate engine twist and once removed it caused zero side effects and looked wicked :).

http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp10/JimineyPhotos/IMG_0055.jpg

·
Registered
837 Posts
Turbocharged cars have stratight no rippled hoses and there are no issues there and they are under far more internal pressure than these and they are fine.

I think this is a mod I will do on mine as well, thank you for the links and ifo.

Dan

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Guys, can recommend the fella from Ebay, nice as pie. Good work delivered very quickly and cheap. Thanks folks will be playing with it at the weekend.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Pleased I helped out derfal. You will be more than happy with your new setup. This is a mod that every TS owner should do rather than replace with that poorly made OE pipe. Even though some wont agree the OE pipe is made of some poor quality plastic\rubber compared to dare I say it my beloved MG brand :cheese: sorry dont hate me for that :lol:

Oh yeah and...

Thanks folks will be playing with it at the weekend
You know that s*#t will make you go blind dont you :cheese:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts