Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can any body help with a part number for the Q2 diff on a 147/GT, Alfa gave me one but couldn't tell me if I was looking at the right thing.

The Q2 diff is called an Anti-lock diff on the parts thingy, does that sound right, if it is the new LSD thats fitted to Q2s then its dirt cheap :cool: if not what is the Q2 diff.

Just trying to see what my options are for this thred

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/tuning-and-upgrades/64419-limited-slip-differentials.html

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Re: Eper part Number help

BTW The part number I have is (removed in case its wrong, wouldn't want anyone buying on my say so) and I have been told is a different part number to the standard diff in a car of that year and slightly more expensive, we've check the new standard JTD part number with the 2004 part number and they are the same so its likely to be a drop in.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh and I have been told the V6 has the same diff as the JTD so this could also be a cheap source for an LSD for the V6s possibly all Alfas, buggered if I know, I don't have the info :rolleyes: Can anyone confirm tthat!

Not sure if it would need any other parts like drievshafts etc. the Dealership mechanic was confused by the idea of fitting bits that don't belong that model, half tempted to just buy it and fit it week after next, I have 3 days off.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Sorry, I only have an old disc, but I've subscribed to your post to watch for the outcome.

I'm in a similar situation to you, and get fed up with wheel scrub and understeer in the wet (I have to go right around a roundabout on the way to work each day), but an also wary of the problems that Ford had with Torque Steer on the Focus RS. I would ring my local dealer, but they haven't come back to me about another query yet, and I don't want to be a PITA for them.

Edit.
I have just checked with them, and they don't have the Q2 listed on their current CD.

·
Registered
283 Posts
sandys said:
how do I test a diff to see if it is torsen or not is my next question?
Being in Wiltshire, I would think that Quarry (I think that's it's name) at Castle Coombe would be ideal.;) However, I would think that booting it on a wet roundabout should suffice. You should find that the steering will be trying to pull straight, so you'll have to hold the lock more positively.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Keeps us informed...and what is the price???

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
If 250 is the correct price for Q2...I am after one as well, as I have huge problem with torque steer (around 370+NM on my bella).

Let us know how it goest, once you get the Q2.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
This is a VERY interesting thread :cool:

One thing to consider though is will the VDC system need to be re-programmed to cope with the LSD :confused:

All the reports I've read suggest in works in conjunction with the VDC :eek:

Cheers,

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm not so sure about that, I doubt it works with VDC just delays the limit to which VDC will start responding, VDC reacts upon the Yaw of the car etc when you have lost it, it monitor wheel speeds, carmotion and your steering input, basically it knows where the car is going and where you are pointing and after you have lost it noticed by violent movement and excesive wheelslip attempts to make the car go in the direction of your Steering input. (the car doesn't know where the road is)

VDC on the GT/GTA cuts in quite late, probably not late enough for thouse who like to flick the rear end out on a hairpin or do handbrake 180s but late enough for me to have my GTA well over 45 degrees into a drift with some lift off on a wet roundabout, the LSD would have been doing its business well before you get any of that sort of slip.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
OK so I have recieved my new parts, I double checked the parts CD and the diff is as far as we can tell the same as the Q2 (933 option) so now for a bit of trial an error I guess, don't fancy taking on the job myself as my stepdad who is normally my backup (fixes my mechanial mistakes :lol: ) is under going treatment for Cancer :( and I want him to chill as he works to hard.

So need to find a garage/mechanic that might take this up in the southwest, it might be a bit of a fact finding mission as I don't know if I'll need need driveshafts or other work to fit in my car etc. I've picked up the bearings and things on the diff page on the parts CD, they were only a few quid, not sure what else is needed :confused:

If you know a competent garage that could undertake this sort of thing in and around Bristol/Wiltshire then recommendations would be appreciated :)

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I checked the measurements of this JTD diff against the ones Quaife kindly provide on their website for a V6 diff and it was pretty much spot on with the Alfa diff, I say pretty much as it was by eye and the differences were +/- a mm which in all honesty could be enough for it not to fit, for example the bore seemed to be not quite 28mm on the Alfa diff which means getting a driveshaft in if its a bit off will be a 'mare.

Theres a good chance my by eye measurements are off though as this was done with a ruler over a cumbersome object so they could be identical to Quaifes diff, certainly looks like the V6 and JTD could have the same differential.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
So for now we know that for 250pounds we get the Q2 diff.

What we don't know is what else is needed to be fitted and how hard would that be...???

Keep us informed on that.

ps: Thanks for the thread

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
No probs, beginning to think I was talking to myself :lol: its very much a suck it and see thing, very expensive suck it and see mind you if it all goes pear shaped as its going to cost around £400 to fit (assuming the quote is correct) but if it works it'll be cheap comparatively.

I'd be in the same boat with any of the other solutions so may as well have a go.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts