Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Wondered who you use for parts, had an email from GSF and have had a nosey at Cam belt kit and water pump (Around £130 for the two if go with top of the range belt kit) - wondered what people think of GSF or who else everyone uses?

Also how much roughly in time a garage would be expected to do a cambelt and water pump change.

Thanks,

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My local garage are good about fitting parts - even 2nd hand ones - but wasn't sure if that was good prices or not. If they stand by a third off as per the email it might make sense to get some ordered.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Autolusso and The Alfa Workshop have fixed prices I believe on their websites for these jobs.

So you can get an idea of any quotes.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
I've used europarts which is cheap but usually I try and use the local motor factors. Not had much success with anything of quality on ebay.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all will have a look round and speak to local parts companies, we have a part co and Bob Fowden, I know a mate swears by the later. I've only ever gone through the garage themselves, but have to get the front subframe done before next MOT in the summer so am conscious of needing a bit of work done so any cutting of costs would help.

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
GSF are decent enough, but I would want to know what brand they are supplying, EuroCarParts seem variable to me, OK for some stuff, expensive on some things or cheapo lines at cheapo prices for others. I prefer to stick to the Alfa experts as they businesses depend on supplying quality items to Alfa enthusiasts, the others do not.

HTH

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
Add AlfaShop and EB Spares to chrism's list ...

·
Registered
72 Posts
I always use GMF in newport or Euro car parts.. Odd tine fastparts aswell, but i work in a garagr so get good trade lol

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I've used europarts which is cheap but usually I try and use the local motor factors. Not had much success with anything of quality on ebay.

Can't say I'm over-fond of Eurocarparts, at least for my Pug 306 cabriolet - they often get part numbers wrong for the given car (easily checked using the public domain Pug parts catalogue), when they do get part numbers right the parts don't always match the part numbers, and even if everything else is right the parts are invariably poor quality (e.g. cambelt tensioners which slip and wreck the valves after a few miles, clutches which fail after 10k, etc) so I tend to steer clear of them for all but the most basic parts, and use GSF or main agents instead.

I'd have thought they'd be even worse for more exotic cars like Alfas; anyone had any long-term success with Eurocarparts for more critical Alfa items like cambelts or clutches, or is it the same old pants as they sell for Peugeots?

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
I've used carpartsforless and eurocarparts for loads of items. Inc cambelts / waterpumps / thermostats / brakes and discs / Liquids / oils and bulbs. All been absolutely fine. Last cambelt lasted 30k I changed it early and no issues. Same with the water pump and any other part I've used from them.

You usually get a choice of which parts you want to buy so can pick the brands you like.

Recently bought service item's for my car (again cambelt was done 10k ago by me with parts from eurocarparts). And the total which includes

Decent oil filter (Mann)
Shell Engine OilHelix HX7 10W-40 5Ltr
Crosland Pollen Filter
TRIPLE QX Anti-freezeBlue Antifreeze/Coolant 5Ltr (I just change it when I service as its cheap and easy to do)
Gearbox oil 75w80 (2 litres)

That came to £50 with their £5 voucher inc delivery.

Can't moan at that in the slightest.
Take me about an hour to do and she's good for another 10k.
Well bar the slightly squeaky top wishbone and arb that won't shut up.

I can say there might be issues with the part numbers and database. I get that. (They are usually very fast to respond and get things correct though and offer full refunds).

But the part's they use will be the same brand's you normally would use.

For a clutch you can pick Valeo / LuK etc. Which will be the same as you would buy anywhere else.
Heck I think I used a continetal belt for the big cambelt service plus water pump and all the above bar the gearbox oil and it was less than £100 (Again I've got all the tools to do the job). So even a major service isn't an issue with Alfa's short service intervals.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Ah, well that's good to know, but I think I might still stick to Autolusso, etc for my GTA :thumbup:

I do know Eurocarparts are a complete nightmare for Peugeot 306s, and their Dayco cambelt kit (which used to be the recommended 3rd party kit) cost me a 306 GTi6 engine. They offered to cover the cost of valve replacement after a lot of whining, but because the engine's got flat top pistons and a v high rev limit, bent valves always lead to main bearing failure, and they weren't willing to cover the cost of a full engine rebuild / replacement. And from various Pug / Citroen forums I know none of their Pug / Cit clutch kits or cables are any good (they become stiff very quickly, which leads to rapid release bearing failure on a pull-type cable clutch). Their handbrake cables are fine though!

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Just out of interest what brands would they fit to the Pug or Cit engines if they did want a clutch?
Be interesting to see which makes they prefer.

If I had a GTA I might opt for different parts suppliers.

I tend to float from Carpartsforless for general run of the mill service parts and less specialized.
And anything a bit more specialized through alfaworkshop or https://www.shop4parts.co.uk/

As they use different brands than the cheaper stuff.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
CAR PARTS from Mister Auto - Your Parts at discount prices are also worth considering. They are generally good for discount prices and offer several alternative mfrs for parts where there are multiple sources. Despite the co.uk I believe they are located in France. It's a very usable website. They have also proved helpful and easy to deal with when things go wrong, eg a plausible but incorrect driveshaft they sent me for a Renault was collected and exchanged for the right part at their expense, with absolutely no fuss.

I also like GSF, whom I've used for many years. Their online system is fairly awful though, nothing like as good as going into a branch (Hayes or Paddington, in my case), where the partsmen have been unfailingly helpful at trying to source obscure and discontinued parts for various old German and French nails.

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
EuroCarParts can go f*** themselves based on my experience with them today......and going to theirbranch at Aston, Birmingham reminded me of why I thibk they are useless, the customer car park is full of their delivery vans so no where for customers to park, the queue was almost out of the door, and I was refused entry at 2.55 as they shut at 3pm despite said shop full of other customers. So I went somewhere else and got what I needed (for the mother in laws Fiesta) for £10 less.

Grade A, class I, 24 carat, Olympic level C :censored: iest of C :censored: s

1 - 20 of 22 Posts