Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, My parking lights are staying on permanently and draining my battery, I believe that there is a sensor under the dash that has gone, does anyone have any more info about this / what the sensor is called? I have been told that it can be bypassed, but would like to replace if possible. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
What year is your car? Some modern ones may have a sensor but the older ones don't. If its all the parking lights then its probably you are pressing the little button by the ignition key when you turn the car off, that coupled with leaving the parking light switch in the on position might be your problem. If its just one tail light thats staying on then you have the well documented rev counter problem. Changing it is the cure.

·
Registered
30,081 Posts
If its all the parking lights then its probably you are pressing the little button by the ignition key when you turn the car off, that coupled with leaving the parking light switch in the on position might be your problem.
There is only the ignition key position to set the parking lights on, no other switch.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
I should have said they turn off when you turn the ignition off unless you press the little button by the key then they stay on regardless of the position of the headlight switch.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rev counter problem

Hi the car is on an 02 plate, do you have more info on the rev counter problem. Thanks

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
is it your park lights that you are turning on or is it actually your side lights glowing due to duff rev counter?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Garage initially quoted me £200 to investigate this fault and said it could go up to £300.
One post on here and sorted for £20.00 new rev counter on Ebay, unscrewed four screws and swapped to new Rev Counter! Two minute job!
Easy peazy........... Squeeze of lemon!
All sorted Thanks guys, you saved me a small fortune!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi guys I have a similar problem with my 2001 156 2.0 TS. The left brake light stays on full blast when the car is turned off. I checked the rev counter and saw traces of high temperature on the circuit board where very small black components are situated. So I suspect they must be the ic's that are cooked. Will look to find a replacement rev counter. This also caused my battery to run down overnight. I have pulled both the service fuses from the fuse box to stop the battery from draining overnight..

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just wondered why Alfa Romeo decided that the light circuit should be incoporated into the rev counter. Seems like the designer was distracted when he put it in the rev counter instead of though a light relay or normal fuse in the fusebox.

·
Registered
30,081 Posts
Hi guys I have a similar problem with my 2001 156 2.0 TS. The left brake light stays on full blast when the car is turned off. I checked the rev counter and saw traces of high temperature on the circuit board where very small black components are situated. So I suspect they must be the ic's that are cooked. Will look to find a replacement rev counter. This also caused my battery to run down overnight. I have pulled both the service fuses from the fuse box to stop the battery from draining overnight..
Get behind the boot carpet under the light units and check the earth points.
If that earth works loose, there are strange backfed currents which hold those lights on.
On mine the boot release cable ran close to it and the flexing of that cable had loosened the earth point...!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks David I wil check it tomorrow. The car was in a slight bumper bashing before I purchased it and it is quite possible that the right side earth point could be suspect.

·
Registered
325 Posts
If anyone in New Zealand or Australia has this problem feel free to contact me.

I have the integrated circuits from the tachometer in stock and don't charge much to change them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts