Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it appears my parking sensors have given up.

Has anyone got any tips on identifying where the fault might lie?

Many thanks
MC

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I got it plugged into MES and it says left external sensor, so I'm assuming the passenger side outermost sensor needs changing. If it ever stops raining....

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
You should be able to hear the beeps by leaving it in reverse, you can test each sensor in turn.
If no sensors cause a beep then it is the module they connect to.

·
Registered
128 Posts
My v6 Sw Q4 has just developed this fault too.

It was intermittent for a day or so, then permanent. My climate control fan stopped working at the same time but they are covered by different fuses and other functions covered by the same fuses still operate normally.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update;

I tried to listen to the sensors and confirm what MES is saying but there is no noise from them. I am assuming the sensors are deactivated as the error light is on the dash.

Weirdly the sensors where working today, for about half an hour, then the error came back so I am Hoping it's a loose connection to the ecu.

Have looked behind the n/s boot trim and the ecu is not near the fuse box as I though it might be, so will strip out drivers side and cd changer next.

Cheers
MC

·
Banned
3,110 Posts
If MES shows particular sensor faulty it normally is.
To strip bumper off is 20min needed. I assume rear bumper we have talked.
I would strip bumper and replace faulty sensor with any other.
If MES reacts accordingly replace sensor. If not clean socket.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just to follow up n this. I found the pdc ecu located above the cd changer in the boot (behind the carpet). All the wiring looked intact and no signs of water ingress.

So I proceeded to loosen the bumper, just the left hand screws (4 in the wheel arch), the 2 torx screws under the bumper, and popped out the light fitting, and the torx bolt there.

I then had enough room to get at the outer most sensor (MES flagged it as the culprit) swapped sensor with a used one from eBay, put everything back together and happy days, I have working sensors again!

Cheers
MC

1 - 9 of 9 Posts