Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm driving my S4 spider again after a few years storage and can't tell you the smile it brings to my face.
Everybody has their own little pleasures to their own degree and capabilities...
I've just lately seen a few minor bumps along the left hand wing and drivers door (LHD) where other people's doors have bumped while getting in and out. No paint chips, just bumps.
Does anyone know of a way of filling these up to get a smooth finish again without taking it to a body shop ? The bumps aren't worth a body shop's attention they're so minor, but I know they're there and it spoils the line of the car when you look along the side. They definitely need some kind of filler but no major work. The car is black and I'm used to spraying and buffing paint so you can see no difference, but what do I fill the bumps with ?
Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Some people say you can apply dry ice to the bumps, then use a hot blow dryer, and they are supposed to "pop" out on their own as the metal contracts.
Worth trying if you can get ahold of the dry ice!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Errr well I'll definitely give it a try SP4. Got friends working for the theatre and DHL and can get dry ice. Will look crazy with all that smoke/haze, but thanks for the tip.
I just don't want whatever filler I put on the side to fall off 6 months down the road!!!

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
I know, it'll look like the Rocky Horror picture show! The dry ice thing might be all "baloney", but in principal it could work, methinks! Youtube has videos on this, but it might only work in larger shallow dents on tinny metal! (like US cars)

The professional way of body filling (as used by RR, Jensen etc) was using lead, but not many people know how to do this nowadays. A bit like soldering on a large scale!
Having said that, you must have some fantastic body fillers in the boat industry that you could try?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Have you tried the Dent Doctor type services? They claim that they can repair dents from car park incidents without having to fill or respray.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No Dent Doctors in the area I'm afraid. Too many rich peoples cars that are just taken to the repair shop regardless of price...
Lead sounds OK, I'd forgotten that.
We've got fantastic fillers and glues that dry hard as rock, I'll have to try on a sample piece of steel thats been sanded and then give it a few bumps and rattles to see how it fairs.
Thanks for the eye/mind opener. We try and work in the traditional way: wood and varnish only so they never crossed my mind. Great :)

·
Registered
480 Posts
We've got fantastic fillers and glues that dry hard as rock, I'll have to try on a sample piece of steel thats been sanded and then give it a few bumps and rattles to see how it fairs.
I'd be careful of anything that goes too hard, will they bo OK though hot/cold expansion/contraction cycles? Most car body filler (resin + hardener type) has a degree of flexibility in it or if using lead you're close to the base metal properties.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts