Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Amongst a couple of other things, I just had an MOT fail with the following statement (and I'm not making this up!):

"Park Brake Efficiency 11%. **DANGEROUS**
In my opinion, the vehicle is dangerous to drive because of the defects marked as such..."

The service brakes checked out fine.
WTF!!!!!!! How can a vehicle be dangerous to drive because the handbrake is low? Maybe it makes it a bugger if you're moving off at traffic lights on a hill but even so, this is just surreal...

·
Registered
54,872 Posts
My Mother nearly lost a leg when a vehicle rolled away from standstill
in a car park and trapped her against a wall due to handbrake failure.

Which was dangerous.

I'm surprised you couldn't work that out for yourself. Your car has to be
in a fit state even when stationary not just when it is being driven :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Annoying but they have their reasons for being able to choose that option. All down to the litigation culture we have to live with.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Annoying but they have their reasons for being able to choose that option. All down to the litigation culture we have to live with.
Litigation or, indeed, the fact that a runaway car due to a failed handbrake is actually quite dangerous as Gibbo said :rolleyes:

Not even an expensive MOT fail anyway so not worth a rant IMO I'm afraid!

·
Administrator
23,044 Posts
Sorry but this is a total non starter.

MOT regs say (I think) the parking brake has to be at least 15% efficient. 15% isn't a lot! Yours wasn't. It fails - no argument.

Adjust the cable - take it back and it is a free retest (provided you get the other stuff done).

M

·
0 Posts
....what were the 'other things'? that it failed on....if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
0/10 - pants rant :p

·
Vendor
45,852 Posts
Handbrake is a nightmare on GTVs, even with discs/pads/cables all new they barely make 15% efficient. 3 clicks and you'll not be able to push them though, so why they show a poor effort I don't know. 3 litres seem to be the worst for it.

Usually runaway cars due to handbrake failure is not how well the pads/discs are gripping, its normally a failure of the securing mechanism such as the cables or the ratchet. Doesn't everyone else always leave their car in gear when parked on an incline?

·
Registered
12,745 Posts
Doesn't everyone else always leave their car in gear when parked on an incline?
Even on the flat. A number of years ago I had pulled up as my then wife nipped into a shop, and hadn't applied the handbrake. A large HGV went passed me and the car moved forward about 10 metres before I realised it was moving, good job there wasn't anything parked in front of me or a pedestrian crossing......:eek:

K

·
0 Posts
Having run a car with no handbrake at all for a brief period, I always leave mine in gear. The handbrake is so utterly **** poor on modern cars with rear discs compared to cars with drums on the back that I think it's compulsory. Having your foot firmly on the brakes when the handbrake goes on helps too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oi, I didn't come here for abuse...!
The word "DANGEROUS" coupled with the expression "In my opinion, the vehicle is dangerous to drive" makes it my liability if I decide to drive the car away to a repairers to get the work done and some bugger runs into me, and it becomes my fault for driving a "dangerous" car, just because the handbrake is low effect. And yes I'm not thick enough not to recognise all the "what if you're parked on a hill" statements.
For info, I've had the thing 4 months and it turns out the previous owner had misadjusted the cable without resetting the self-adjuster, meaning the left-hand actuator was at the end of its travel so the handbrake lever couldn't move far enough to exert the effort (as explained by the MOT inspector).
Other fails were one of the front indicator bulbs had lost its amber coating and a bit of welding on the front subframe.
Yes I know about the leaving it on a hill with it in gear (and surprised no-one mentioned turning the front wheels into the kerb!) but there's a couple of hill-start traffic lights near me where several times I've had to sit for a few minutes on handbrake before and not rolled backwards...

·
Registered
946 Posts
To be fair to the OP the rant was about the car being marked 'dangerous to drive' and not about the MOT failure, I got it :)

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
To be fair to the OP the rant was about the car being marked 'dangerous to drive' and not about the MOT failure, I got it :)
I got it too, just didn't get it over in my post. The dangerous warning is very often on the same level as "was made in factory where other products contain nuts". It sort of takes away the effect of the "dangerous" warning in my opinion but covers the tester in case of any accident that might occur.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Saw a handbrake fail on an old audi coupe by boscombe peer a few years back. I was looking up the hill when i saw a car coming down it with no lights on. Then realised it was travelli g backwards!!!! It smashed some road bollards out of the way before glancing off the central roundabout wall and into the side of a waiting taxi. The bloke in the taxi had to get out the passenger side. Luckily he was ok but the whole think was sureal to watch. Not to mention highly "DANGEROUS" :(

At op. alfa handbrakes are poor at best. Always helps to keep them tip top. Hopefully it is a cheap fix :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts