Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

after hearing so many storys about alfa romeo, everyone is telling me dont buy Alfa, it will cost you money and money!

i feel kinda frustrated and really need some advice from experienced users. one model that really catched my Eye , and its soo cheap! its the Alfa Romeo 156

i need to make a choice between alfa romeo 156 1999, t.spark 16v 120hp . 160000km

or

alfa romeo 156 2002, 18v t.spark. 140hp 177000km

any advice on this?

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
The 1.8, all day. The 1.6 is underpowered for the 156.

However given their age and mileage expect to be spending some money. Which one looks, sounds and drives better?

Welcome to the forum by the way, I'm assuming English isn't your first language, where in the world are you?

All the best

Pub

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey pubsinger, thanks for your reply!
i am from Holland :)

i havent tested the 2002 yet, only the 1999, to be honest, its a fine car. i felt like i was in a movie.(not jokking)

about the 1999 16, lets assume thats the one i will pick, is it possible and worth it to chip tune it? i read somewhere i could have incrise in about 15hp more....

the 2002 18v 1.8. looks more of a family car, straight from the industry, while th 1999 has blinded windows, bad guy look ,and it really stole my heart .

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Go for the 1.8, out of the twin sparks this is the most reliable. You can get window tinting done cheap etc, go with the bigger engine provided it all seems ok.

It's not easy getting more power out of the twinnies.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
When you're buying an old car it's not the spec from the factory that counts but what's left that still works and is serviceable after 15 years. I'd check the floor pan is ok and anything else can be fixed. You might even enjoy doing the work yourself.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Must admit I loved the 1.8. The taller gear ratio made it that much easier to play with. Even if the 1.6 was a bit more revtastic. The 1.8 is by far the better twinspark. Id rate it over the 2.0

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how about the fuel usage of 1.8? i read somehwere that the 1.6 is more realible, then i read here its 1.8 :)

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Just buy the best car you can find. If it's a 1.6, 1.8 or 2.0 it really doesn't matter. The larger engine is more powerful but uses more fuel, duh! Larger engine cars are usually better spec'ed. Any model could be a rusty poorly maintained money pit. I wouldn't reject a 156 because of engine size.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts