Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Happy to help. No charge for the lesson. LOL. I didn't expect such quick responses from the other side of the world.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I am at home because of lockdown .just disconnected radio and it goes down to the above .It can not be the amp as I disconnected from battery and remote live ,boot light is always off ,don't see the point of it and interior lights are turning on off as they should

I have noticed that sometimes it's shows 110mah then if I operate the electric aerial it then seems to come down ,which I just fixed to 70/80mah .Is it possible for a motor to draw current even with the live feed off ?
Don't know why Alfa did not put more circuits on ignition live the external mirrors have a constant live going to them
I will check if the radio is drawing power from main live or if it's just live for memory

Many thanks for your help

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am handy electrically but not an auto electrical expert. Cars are getting pretty hard for normal people. They have can bus systems and computers for every thing.and it is near impossible to get a wiring diagram. A lot of stuff is negative switched by computers, not sure on Alfas as I have not had mine long and it is a 2019 so not messing with it too much. I do not know the answers to your questions but if you left the car sitting for a while with 110 mA drain the battery would be getting pretty flat after a week or two. From what I hear Alfas are pretty fussy about needing a good battery. Modern Calcium batteries do not like a steady drain or being recharged from flat. A car alternator is unlikely to charge a flat calcium battery very well even on a long drive so it is important to keep those drains low. Old battery chargers will not charge a Calcium battery properly, you need a smart charger with different settings for the different chemistries.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
OK thanks the Varta battery i bought less than a 3 years ago was replaced under warranty late last year as it went faulty {lake of use and putting a battey charger on it},not helping matters at all i keep it on a trickle charger over winter also purchased a solar charger .I could probably get a couple of weeks without it going flat
Would like to see less of a drain . these are 20 year old Alfa and not as complicated as even more modern stuff

Lots of modern cars are even worse ,they have that much being drawn from the battery in standby. Can not understand why they wired mirrors always live and main feed to radio always live .I could run a separate live to the radio disconnecting the main live .Even if it does not help current draw at least you dont have to play around remembering to turn the radio off when leaving the car

Thanks anyway at least i know what the meter is saying now

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Sorted ! I think that they aftermarket stereo as one poster has already said is not compatible with Afla wire .for some reason you have two permanent lives going to unit as you would expect one to power unit ,the thicker red ( this you expect to be ignition live one the other for the memory

I disconnected the thicker live as in pic expecting the radio not to power up .To my suprise it does ,and bring draw back down to 30mah

I put the radio in it about 4 years ago ,it's been like it ever since

I suggest other owner do the same there is a good chance you are getting the same current draw situation. It may pay to leave the thicker red connected and disconnect the thinner memory live .The thicker wire is probably for power amp in radio .Will swap them round and see what happens then

Attachments

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Sorted ! I think that they aftermarket stereo as one poster has already said is not compatible with Afla wire .for some reason you have two permanent lives going to unit as you would expect one to power unit ,the thicker red ( this you expect to be ignition live one the other for the memory

I disconnected the thicker live as in pic expecting the radio not to power up .To my suprise it does ,and bring draw back down to 30mah

I put the radio in it about 4 years ago ,it's been like it ever since

I suggest other owner do the same there is a good chance you are getting the same current draw situation. It may pay to leave the thicker red connected and disconnect the thinner memory live .The thicker wire is probably for power amp in radio .Will swap them round and see what happens then
Nice work!!! I'll have to check mine.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
272 Posts
With respect to the question "what is terminal 6 for?" on the radio ISO connection block.
Reading the table just below the finger, it is a connection for illumination of the radio.
The idea is a feed is taken from a dimmable lighting connection so the radio is illuminated at a similar intensity to the rest of the instruments.
If this is connected to a permanent 12V feed there will be a continuous current drain.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Thanks ,know I now what its for I will see if it actually works

Right then a bit of an update ,does not matter what I do with the setting on the radio the dimmer function next to the dash instruments does not work with the radio .Probably compatability issue .But that does not bother me

If you disconnect the blue and white my stereo goes off all together ,it's definitely the red that needs to be snipped ,leaving the blue White connected .It's does not seem to bother the memory side of things,it still remembers the sattings

Once red is cut mah goes from 110 to just 30 .So it's well worth doing .I even swapped red and white an blue around no difference ,just to check if the radio switches on and off with the ignition ,it doesn't

* Another update *
If you leave everything connected as normal turn the radio on, then disconnect the red the stereo turns off reconnect and it turns back on again {simulating ignition on off}
1 aftermarket stereo is not compatible with Alfas way of wireing
2 The red needs to be ignition live ,why oh why oh why .If they had done it like that you would have no battery drain and the stereo would work off ignition

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had a similar issue so I just took a connection from the cigar lighter as in my ph2 it's ignition switched and placed an extra in-line fuse for extra safety, Problem solved.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Thanks never thought of that ,its easy to get to , and only a short run .If i use similar sized cable should be able to get away without a fuse as the fag lighter must be fused anyway

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes it's fused I was just been over cautious, hope it helps, mines been fine since I did it

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
Ok thanks will have a look tomorrow if the wind has died down

Update

Sorted killed two birds with one stone cut the red a few inches from iso block take a tap off the the fag lighter ( block connection under gear lever bellows join back up to red on iso connector, simples

No battery drain and radio turns on an off with ignition.Should of done that years ago .Again though why Alfa didn't make the original red ignition live is beyond me

21 - 32 of 32 Posts