Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Troops,

I've had my eye on a used car for a few weeks. I've only seen pictures and read the description online. It's not a huge amount of money (£3k), but that's at the very high end for this car, of which knackered versions can be bought for £500. Judging by the pics and the description, it is an excellent example of this car.

There are some unsavory people in the used car trade, so it pays to be cautious. The one thing that troubled me is that the car is 'being sold on behalf of a neighbour'. That statement works two ways - either it is, or it's hiding a multitude of cons.

Today, I called the seller. Hours later, I missed a call from the seller, who was calling from a different mobile number to the one in the advert. Finally we spoke, and these things came to light:

1) there are two different prices in the advert, with £500 between them
2) when I asked why he was selling the car, he said that a seven seater isn't big enough for his family. Slightly surprised, I said the car I was calling about certainly does not have seven seats! He said:' oh, you're calling about the other one..."
3) the person I spoke to, is now the actual owner of the car (thus the 'selling on behalf of a neighbour' line in the advert is now void). I can't work out whether this is a good thing, or a distraction.
4) The car is advertised as having done 40k. On the call, he said this was a 'mistake' in the advert; it had a documented speedo change, so it shows 40k, but it has actually done 53k. The point to bear in mind here is that this car is known for wearing mega miles and not showing them; the 'speedo change' line could easily hide another 40k.
5) The seller says I can't meet him at his house or work; only at his friend's place.

One part of me says 'run for the hills'.

Another part says that cars can have complicated lives, and for the sake of a piddling £3k, why would some one go to the trouble of creating a convoluted story; it's not like they're trying to sell and profit in on a £50k Maser.

In a nutshell; judging by the pics, I like this example of the car, but every other fundamental box that needs to be ticked when buying a used car, is making me feel a bit uneasy. The car looks excellent, but its provenance (or lack of!) is making me dubious.

I have not named the car or provided a link to it; i don't want to compromise its eventual sale just in case the seller is 100% legit, and I'm just being a paranoid twonk. All I can say is that life has taught me that if people are cagey, they are usually dodgy, and where money is concerned, they're best avoided.

What do you think about this? Drop it and move on, or pursue it?

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
Run away.

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Am with you on this one Scuddy, the need for the seller to tell tales would make me suspicious enough to move on & search elsewhere...

M

·
0 Posts
Depends how close it is to you buddy. If it's an easy drive, go take a look, check everything over....car, paperwork etc. The guy is obviously a trader so will likely be making a fair profit on the sale.....hence the high price??

If it's within 30 miles, go and check it out, if it's further, from what you've said, I'd move on to another:thumbs:

L

·
0 Posts
If your not sure walk away. can you afford a 3k loss if it all goes wrong?

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Sounds like he is a trader in essence, but not wanting to appear to be a trader to the taxman and the purchaser for warranty obligations.

If the car is good and your conscience allows you to buy from him, then ...

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cheers guys.

i'm increasingly leaning more toward the run for the hills option :)

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Depends how close it is to you buddy. If it's an easy drive, go take a look, check everything over....car, paperwork etc. The guy is obviously a trader so will likely be making a fair profit on the sale.....hence the high price??

If it's within 30 miles, go and check it out, if it's further, from what you've said, I'd move on to another:thumbs:
dude, the car isn't that far away. But it's in a place you'd expect to see Del-Boy trading...

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
Why not pop round, blow a raspberry at him, then hightail it out of there? :thumbs:

·
Registered
12,405 Posts
Another part says that cars can have complicated lives, and for the sake of a piddling £3k, why would some one go to the trouble of creating a convoluted story; it's not like they're trying to sell and profit in on a £50k Maser.
People do nonsense like that for cheap cars that look too good to be true, not just the big jobbies.

I have a relative that lost a deposit on a car that they'd set their heart on, even though it was obviously a banger. When they called the dealer that sold out and serviced it and learnt that that dealer last saw it three years earlier with 20K plus more miles on the odo they finally came to their senses.

Complicated lives, or traders masquerading as private individuals?

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
He will give you an address but be waiting in his BMW outside. The car will be in the further up the street. All business will be conducted in the car. His name won't be that on the V5 or you will get a green slip with tippex on it. All clues to dodgy dealers innit.
Even if the car appears good ,somewhere there will be a major problem. Avoid like the plague.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok; decided - too many alarm bells started ringing, and your help sanity-checking them means this is a no deal.

thanks guys. you just saved me £3k...but chucked the Polo a lifeline! :cry: :lol:

·
Registered
13,050 Posts
Scud - I know you've said you'll avoid it, however might it be worth checking out and, if it isn't legit, blowing the fella's cover?

Someone else could be taken for a ride and that wouldn't be nice.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Scud - I know you've said you'll avoid it, however might it be worth checking out and, if it isn't legit, blowing the fella's cover?

Someone else could be taken for a ride and that wouldn't be nice.
that's an admirably compassionate view of the situation, Starkers :thumbs:

*sighs* i've spent 2011 and much of 2010 stopping someone else doing damage to others, and i just don't think i have the energy left to stop another. I'm not Jesus. I'm just a bloke looking to buy a legitimate used car :thumbs:

but i TOTALLY understand what you're saying.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts