Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2008 147 Q2
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a newbie to Alfas, but not to cars. (Ex-mechanic, been out of the game for some time now)
In the real world, will my 2008 Q2 have swirl flaps which I might have to worry about? The car has done 80,000 miles with full Alfa history. Am thinking it would be a good idea to blank off the EGR valve, but it looks like I'll need a re-map. Anyone know where I could get this done in Kent?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Yes. My 58 Sport Q2 ate a flap at 75k, shed a 2nd one at 79k - found in the inlet when I repaired the bead. Egr blank, get rid of flaps ASAP.

·
Registered
2008 147 Q2
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, thats just what I didn't want to hear! Whats the manifold like to remove? I'm hoping theres some info somewhere on here on how to do away with the flaps on this type of manifold.

·
Registered
2008 147 Q2
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, thats just what I didn't want to hear! Whats the manifold like to remove? I'm hoping theres some info somewhere on here on how to do away with the flaps on this type of manifold.
Right, I'm blanking the EGR for starters, have a remap booked for Friday. Will sort out the manifold as soon as I can find the time.

·
Vendor
46,352 Posts
Plastic manifold means swirl flaps of the worst kind, unfortunately. Not a particularly pleasant job, remove the fuel pump, one of the studs, you'll know which when you're there, there is also loads of **** around the back of the engine and down below the manifold which needs to be loosened and then take it off the engine by way of either chiseling the fuel pump support bracket until there is room or extract all the manifold studs. On your type you can split the manifold on the engine and use a stud extractor on most of the studs without damaging the threads so I'd probably go that way with it.

·
Registered
2008 147 Q2
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its great to have all this info, I'm sure that I'll have to make myself sort the manifold sooner rather than later. Oddly enough, the remap guy, says he's never heard of the flaps being ingested on one of these. Dont think its going to make me sleep any better though!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts