Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Read some discussion on the forum about Paraffin being used in fuel to clean the injectors.

However I am now wondering if Paraffin can be used to clean combustion chamber and EGR valves?

Will spraying some paraffin through the air intake towards the combustion chamber clean the carbon deposits? OR will it kill the engine?

Wynns have EGR cleaner and there is this ecotek power boost... any idea what they are made of?

anyone tried paraffin already? if not any thoughts?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Paraffin is fine for cleaning parts off the car. It will not burn like petrol, spraying it into the intake is unlikely to clean the chambers in any significant way. I last cleaned an EGR valve from a turbocharged Delta, I removed it from the car and stripped it down to clean it.

·
Registered
38,930 Posts
I wouldn't spray it in the engine.

Some of it will burn and cause smoke but the rest will stay on the bores where it will wash away the oil leading to engine wear.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
but then what are the cleaners made of? some kind of detergents in combination...with?

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
i've no idea about the effects in a diesel. but so-called 'injector cleaners' are mostly paraffin/kerosene (like 99% para?). one of the AO members did a chemical analysis IIRC.

i chuck a couple hundred mil's into my tank in the 155 a few times a year. i did it last weak when it started hesitating after i filled up - i suspect the fuel had some gunk in it!

:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts