Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As from four weeks time you will no longer be issued with the paper counterpart of a photo licence.

Paper Driving Licences Discontinued - RAC Cars

I am still on a pink paper licence issued in 1986 when we moved to our present home. Three years time I will have to renew it on reaching 70 but it looks as if that will cost me £20 as none of the details have changed. If I change address then it is free so where is the logic?:rant:

·
Administrator
47,059 Posts
I wonder. If you said you were changing address, and put the same address in old and new fields, would they pick up on it?

·
Administrator
47,059 Posts
There's an idea - just give your house a name. Change of address, no fraud - sorted.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
Yeah read this. As the UK is probably the only country in the world
with the paper bit I don't see what the fuss is.

Although all the hire car firms in the UK have been moaning.
What do they do for all the foreigners with normal licences, then. :rolleyes:

Non photo ID licences are just bonkers in this day-and-age.
They should all be invalidated.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Although all the hire car firms in the UK have been moaning.
What do they do for all the foreigners with normal licences, then. :rolleyes:
The real reason they are whinging is that they will have to stop their current policies of charging admin fees if you don't have the paper part of the licence. I think it was £15 last time I had to pay it. :tut:

·
Registered
9,601 Posts
I wonder. If you said you were changing address, and put the same address in old and new fields, would they pick up on it?
Should be easy enough to change to another family member's address for a month or so, then move back when your "domestic upset" is resolved.......;)

·
Administrator
47,059 Posts
Does this mean that current licenses which do have a paper counterpart will be considered complete in and of themselves? Or will that only apply to new ones?

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does this mean that current licenses which do have a paper counterpart will be considered complete in and of themselves? Or will that only apply to new ones?
The RAC article saysthe paper part can be destroyed.

Along with ceasing to issue paper counterparts with new licences, the DVLA says that existing paper driving licence counterparts can be destroyed as they will no longer serve any purpose.

·
Administrator
47,059 Posts
That's good then!

I thought I remembered a note on my card stating it was invalid without the paper bit, but just had another look, and apparently I'm wrong.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do not destroy your paper counterpart just yet!

The car hirer companies believe that the computer systems for checking licences are not fully working :tut: and so, after discussion, the DVLA has announced, 22/12/14, that the date for abolition has been put back to 15/06/2015. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
Why is this only a problem in the UK?

I don't think I've ever been asked for my licence more
than one at any hire place. And even then I don't
think they are allowed to access any databases to
check on you. It's just a visual check of your licence.

(There was a investigative report on French TV last year
about fake licences and showing some of the staff picking
up fakes just through looking at them. :lol:)

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As I understand it the Hirer wants to know about endorsments and points etc. The photocard does not have this information so they, at present, look at the paper part. In future they will access a DVLA database for the information. Is it possible to retain a photocard if you are banned from driving and then use it to hire a car?

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
Ah yes. That idea of looking at your private personal driving record only exists in the UK. :lol:
everywhere else: "None of your damn business!" :thumbs:

·
Administrator
47,059 Posts
Hirer on Menorca was aware that UK licenses have two parts, and wanted to see both of them. Luckily I did remember the paper bit. Once, on a fly-drive holiday in the US I did not remember the paper bit until I was in thew queue to pick up the car. Felt absolutely sick - it would have ended the holiday right there. And they were just looking for any reason to not rent the car because I'd got my insurance elsewhere.
Thankfully, they were completely unaware.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
A plasticized credit-card sized licence is what they are used to in the US.
And they are different state-to-state. So any official looking bit of
plastic that says "Driving License" [sic] over there and you're good to go. ;)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Indeed.

Whilst working in Los Angeles in 1986, I used what was then a relatively new technology - typesetting software and a laser printer - to print out a "Scottish Driving Licence" to which I stuck a passport photo and then laminated it.

This easily allowed me to purchase alcohol, with only a few more worldly-wise places laughing and turning me away (I was only 20 at the time, where the drinking age was 21).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts