Alfa Romeo Forum banner

141 - 160 of 162 Posts

·
Banned
3,808 Posts
The ironic thing about our trip to Costco was that we are running a bit low on toilet roll, and we would usually pick up a pack when visiting Costco. None available in Tesco when Mrs Bazza did the weekly shop either.

So I wouldn't say it's a panic yet, but I am becoming a little concerned that people won't calm the hell down in time for us to just buy our usual stock.

I suffer rather with IBS. Sometimes I can get through a roll by myself in a couple of days...
You should lay off the Forum that’s probably aggravating it!

·
Banned
3,808 Posts
Kitchen roll, old t shirts, the dog - we have options.
News Paper - French style.

Take a 9 inch square of newspaper and quarter fold it.

Fold again twice, as if making a paper aeroplane.

Cut off 1.5 inches from the tip.

Open the sheet out and use said paper to wipe the offending orifice.

Use retained 1.5 inch tip to clean fingernails!

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Blame the Aussies....and the gullible UK buyers for following suit. They started panic buying because most of their loo roll comes from China....so they had a reason to stock up as not a lot is leaving China....we however manufacture most of our own loo roll right here in the UK....so there was never going to be a shortage....in fact there isn't a shortage now....its just that the shops have been caught on the hop and need to up there supply chain.....

·
Registered
7,162 Posts

·
Registered
6,633 Posts
One of my memories of visiting my grandparents a LONG time ago is of using the Radio Times as bog paper. Not, unfortunately, a good choice with today's RT - that's progress for you!

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Nearly posted this in the "You know when you're getting old..." thread. As an over-70, I had a personal invite from Sainsbury's chief exec to panic-buy for their first hour from 7am to 8am this morning.

This is a noble effort by them to give the "vulnerable" a chance. It's an experiment, and no-one knew whether anyone would turn up at that ungodly hour. Well, the place was heaving with sweaty bodies crammed together by the hundreds. A complete nightmare but surprisingly good humoured. It was like Ladies Night at the Hammersmith Palais in 1965. In fact it was probably the same people. If nothing else, at least we will have infected each other. (Again).

Obviously, there still wasn't any soap, and many other products are missing, hoarded by mean stockpilers - caulifowers, for example. After forty minutes, the chaotic queue to pay jammed the entire shop; I was in there two and a half hours in total.

Outside the store a huge queue of regular shoppers had been waiting an hour and half to get in. A hapless, diminutive, minumum-wage security guy was accosted with the demand: "Where is the manager!" He probably didn't know there was one. I put my trolley into D-mode and fled to the car park.

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
Asda Preston at 7.30am today: no skimmed milk - fresh or long life; pasta; rice; pizzas; and obviously no toilet roll.
Sainsbury's at 1.30pm: as above.

·
Registered
37,512 Posts
My local tesco last night:
No vegetables, no fresh meat, hardly any tins, no rice, no pasta. No bog roll, no paracetamol. They had only skimmed milk. I did managed to buy Pizza, potato waffles and chocolate. The chocolate was to cheer me up.

At this rate I will dusting off the air rifle and going hunting for Rabbits and Pheasants.

·
Administrator
45,307 Posts
Or using it to protect your waffles from looters.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
My parents live in a small town next to a much larger one. Since there are shortages in the the larger town the residents have taken to raiding the shops in the outlying regions. According to my dad there was an absolute bun-fight going on in the local shop this morning. The owner now has signs up saying "Locals Only".

·
Registered
6,633 Posts
Meanwhile, back in the real Royston Vasey, Briss' butcher shop has closed. Yes, I'm local.

After our trip to Tesco on Tuesday we're well stocked with the necessities - Weetabix, Jaffa Cakes & Beer!

·
Registered
11,224 Posts
Meanwhile, back in the real Royston Vasey, Briss' butcher shop has closed. Yes, I'm local.

After our trip to Tesco on Tuesday we're well stocked with the necessities - Weetabix, Jaffa Cakes & Beer!
Stay safe(y).
And to all the kids out there in Zombie fleece (sic) eater survival land, remember this top panic buying tip:
you can wipe your arse with weetabix, but eating bog roll is not advisable, big or clever🤓

141 - 160 of 162 Posts