Alfa Romeo Forum banner

41 - 60 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
33,697 Posts
1984 was about control and there are too many people want a choice even when it’s obvious it should be followed.
The control will have to introduced if people are being idiots who won’t be told.

·
Registered
33,697 Posts
It’s most certainly kicking off. Boris is still suggesting behaviour rather than telling people what to do to stop things spiralling out of control.

·
Vendor
45,437 Posts
It’s most certainly kicking off. Boris is still suggesting behaviour rather than telling people what to do to stop things spiralling out of control.
He's an instinctive liberal. He'll tell people what he thinks they should do, if they decide to do something else and it has consequences for them, that's their problem. You could tell he was fairly gobsmacked when that journalist suggested he should get the police to ensure people comply with self-isolating measures. Rightly or wrongly.

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
He‘s probably a realist and knows perfecrly well how pitting the dodgier parts of London against the police or army will end. If this carries on into summer, London will burn and the deaths from the virus will look like chicken feed.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
It may be an isolated example but I have just returned from doing a normal weekly shop at Lidl in Chichester, the car park was half empty and 2mtr distancing inside was easy, quite civilised.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
^ That's hopeful. All the nonsense is bound to die down eventually, the sooner the better.

·
Administrator
45,302 Posts
I haven't been out. But posts on local Facebook pages seem to indicate that the situation at shops has indeed calmed down immensely, both in terms of lack of crowds, and plenty of product.

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
Just back from a cycle ride down the country lanes. Went past my local Aldi and the car park was very quiet. Saw one person pushing a trolley to a car.
Went past a chemist further into the ride and there was maybe a dozen queueing to get in - they probably only let a small number in at once. And the queue had good distance between people so looked worse than what it actually was.

I need to do a main shop on Thursday. Not looking forward to it, just hope everyone's being sensible - in terms of not getting too close or being too greedy/selfish.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I was not looking forward to my shop, but I was able to keep a good distance from others. It could be the low lifes have filled their multiple freezers.

I did do a panic buy with half a dozen bottles of Chianti though. See I feel better now I've owned up.

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
If I can get booze and bog roll I'll consider it a success!

·
Registered
994 Posts
It may be an isolated example but I have just returned from doing a normal weekly shop at Lidl in Chichester, the car park was half empty and 2mtr distancing inside was easy, quite civilised.
It was similar here today in tesco, again civilised.

Managed to get what i wanted,some bread buns even reduced.

Toilet roll though, forget it!

·
Registered
2 Posts
With all this panic-buying I feel ashamed of buying any products, especially toilet paper. Like... I've been * long before this virus stuff, don't get me wrong xD

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
I need to do a main shop on Thursday. Not looking forward to it, just hope everyone's being sensible - in terms of not getting too close or being too greedy/selfish.
If I can get booze and bog roll I'll consider it a success!
Turned out to be a huge success. Got bog roll and booze!!

Got there at around 8.45am, straight in, no queueing, shop was quiet and civilised and well stocked.
People were courteous and trying to keep some distance, but nigh on impossible to do 2 metres when you're picking stuff off shelves.
A pleasant experience in the end :)

·
Registered
33,697 Posts
They were queuing round the carpark at Waitrose so I went to the CoOp. Impossible to keep 2M unless there’s only i person at a time in the aisles. So you have to pass back to back.

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
Ocado delivering as per normal. Got a monster shop coming in at the weekend, for us, both sets of parents and the local GP. No apparent issues.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Went to Lidl this morning. Just wanted a loaf of bread that they didn't have yesterday. Shelves were still bare. So then I realised I was trapped. The only open till lanes had people waiting and the empty till lanes had barriers across. The entrance doors are automatic and only open if approached from outside.

41 - 60 of 153 Posts