Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m am curious knowing if people in general still experience issues with panel gaps on cars delivered lately, or if the issues only relate to cars delivered early on? There is another thread about bonnet alignment being common, and I have read elsewhere on a German forum about people being pretty disappointed with their panel gaps in general being very bad.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Not heard of any issues with panel gaps.
Mine is a Feb 2017 build and no issues with panel gaps. Unless you're referring to the fuel flap issue? In which case my understanding is they've revised the parts so it's no longer a problem.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Mine's a Jan 2017 (stitch that Smarty) and has perfect panel gaps. I vaguely remember an old thread trying to tell everyone that panel gaps were terrible on the Giulia, but everyone that actually owned one didn't have any problems.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Yup, all good on mine. The only bad gap on mine now is where the bonnet was adjusted to sort the sticky release. I'll live with it

·
Registered
189 Posts
Same here, car looks great apart from the fuel filler flap where I can get my finger in the gap.

·
AO Detailing Car Of The Year 2020 Winner
4,235 Posts
Panel gaps are fairly consistent except the fuel flap which is flimsy soft plasticy material and the closure latch seems to stress the plastic distorting it over time. However, I have compared the panel gaps when parked next to a new Audi A5 recently and the gaps are slightly bigger is places in comparison which is what some people may be complaining about. Also I have repeatedly been saying this, which I also wrote a whole essay about when AR recently sent me a detailed survey on vehicle design and peformance, the door seals are very poorly designed. There is a finger gap especially on the driver's side door between the inner seal and top of the window. What is the purpose of a seal if it does not compress equally and fully. Even our other car which is a simple Ford has perfect door seals that stop wind noise and water noise when it rains.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I was actually about to post about my o/s front wing. Bad panel alignment where the wing meets the sill at the rear of the wheel arch, it wing sticks out about 4mm from the sill, i.e. not flush.

Attachments

·
Registered
384 Posts
Panel gaps are fairly consistent except the fuel flap which is flimsy soft plasticy material and the closure latch seems to stress the plastic distorting it over time.
Same on mine. On my Giulia the panel gaps are fairly consistent over the whole car, but I'd say they weren't very close by current industry standards. A few months ago I was staying in a hotel where our room had a balcony that overlooked some of the car park. Looking down I could see that my Giulia was possibly the car with the most pronounced gaps, even one or two small cheap cars like Renaults and Fiestas were noticeably better in that respect. Having become used to Mercedes standards of fit and finish, I suppose my Alfa isn't too good, but it's miles better than a 159 SW I owned about 10 years ago, that car had gaps at the lower trailing edge of the rear doors I could stick my fingers right in. On the plus side, after 5 months it's still free from creaks and rattles, so on the whole, it seems to be quite well put together, and as it's an Alfa, I'd forgive it almost anything.

·
Registered
40,525 Posts
VW group make a point of how defined they can get their panel pressings. They use more stages and more presses than the Giulia to prevent it looking distorted like a takeaway tin. The weirdest bit on the Alfa is the form of the door jamb for the rear door in the body side mainly because the door shape and the seal are so different.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was actually about to post about my o/s front wing. Bad panel alignment where the wing meets the sill at the rear of the wheel arch, it wing sticks out about 4mm from the sill, i.e. not flush.
Looks like the same problem as the guy in the German forum - also the right wing. What about where the wing meets the front fender, isn’t that flush either?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Panel gaps are fairly consistent except the fuel flap which is flimsy soft plasticy material and the closure latch seems to stress the plastic distorting it over time.
Same on mine. On my Giulia the panel gaps are fairly consistent over the whole car, but I'd say they weren't very close by current industry standards. A few months ago I was staying in a hotel where our room had a balcony that overlooked some of the car park. Looking down I could see that my Giulia was possibly the car with the most pronounced gaps, even one or two small cheap cars like Renaults and Fiestas were noticeably better in that respect. Having become used to Mercedes standards of fit and finish, I suppose my Alfa isn't too good, but it's miles better than a 159 SW I owned about 10 years ago, that car had gaps at the lower trailing edge of the rear doors I could stick my fingers right in. On the plus side, after 5 months it's still free from creaks and rattles, so on the whole, it seems to be quite well put together, and as it's an Alfa, I'd forgive it almost anything.
I forgive the panel gaps being a bit over standard, but I find it important that the gaps are consistent all over the car. The problems in the picture above and also on the German forum are unacceptable.

·
Registered
40,525 Posts
The time cut out of the Giulia program to bring it down to eighteen months includes the stages known as cubing and the fine tuning of the press-tools carried out by Audi etc. Whether this has any functional repercussions other than wind noise and the boot taking paint off the bumper on slamming nobody can be sure. It's just a cosmetic thing which Giugiaro questions in his interview this month in Autoitalia about the AlfaSud. The boot bumpstops issue has been tuned and would customers have been happy to wait another year just to make the perceived quality of the Giulia better instead of driving the car?

·
Registered
384 Posts
the bumper/wing/bonnet bit looks worse
Maybe, but the apparent gap will depend on the angle it's photographed from, directly above would show a bigger gap, more of an angle and it would look smaller. On the example we see here, it's hard to tell.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts