Votes: 8 42.1%
  • What?

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
44,765 Posts
I made the most kick-ass pancakes the world has ever seen yesterday.
To start we had savoury pancakes with turkey, backon and cheese sauce in them, then sweet ones with ice-cream and chocolate sauce, then the old standby - Golden syrup and lemon juice.

And yes, you read correctly, there were no chips involved in that meal ;)

·
Registered
15,174 Posts
I forgot!!!! :rant: :mad: :rant:

:(

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stori said:
What the hell is pancake day...some religious eating festival ;) :D
Yes!!
:D

From the British Broadcasting Corporation...
;)

Shrove Tuesday

Shrove Tuesday is the Tuesday before Ash Wednesday which is the first day of Lent. It's a day of penitence, to clean the soul, and a day of celebration as the last chance to feast before Lent begins.

Shrove Tuesday is probably the Christian festival that the family enjoys most, after Christmas, of course.

But there's more to Shrove Tuesday than pigging out on pancakes or taking part in a public pancake race. The pancakes themselves are part of an ancient custom with deeply religious roots.

Penitence
Shrove Tuesday gets its name from the ritual of shriving that Christians used to undergo in the past. In shriving, a person confesses their sins and receives absolution for them.

When a person receives absolution for their sins, they are forgiven for them and released from the guilt and pain that they have caused them.

In the Catholic or Orthodox context, the absolution is pronounced by a priest.

This tradition is very old. Over 1000 years ago a monk wrote in the Anglo-Saxon Ecclesiastical Institutes:

In the week immediately before Lent everyone shall go to his confessor and confess his deeds and the confessor shall so shrive him.

Shrove Tuesday celebrations
Shrove Tuesday is a day of celebration as well as penitence, because it's the last day before Lent.

Lent is a time of abstinence, of giving things up. So Shrove Tuesday is the last chance to indulge yourself, and to use up the foods that aren't allowed in Lent.

Giving up foods: but not wasting them
In the old days there were many foods that observant Christians would not eat during Lent: foods such as meat and fish, fats, eggs, and milky foods.

So that no food was wasted, families would have a feast on the shriving Tuesday, and eat up all the foods that wouldn't last the forty days of Lent without going off.

The need to eat up the fats gave rise to the French name Mardi Gras; meaning fat tuesday. Pancakes became associated with Shrove Tuesday as they were a dish that could use up all the eggs, fats and milk in the house with just the addition of flour.

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
Havent eaten pancakes in ages... :(

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Didn't realise it was Shrove Tuesday until after I hadn't eaten, so I couldn't fit anything in. I'd had to eat 6 sausages for supper because they wouldn't last much longer, so I guess, even though it wasn't pancakes it was in keeping with the spirit of Shrove Tuesday in emptying the fridge.

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
I had to contend with no less than 8 Teenage Kids last night all wanting to cook Pancakes in OUR Kitchen.....I had an instant, bloody, Curry instead and kept out of the way :( ,
Do like Pancakes but I wasn't getting involved with that lot :eek:

·
Registered
7,188 Posts
We had run out of eggs, so we couldn't make any (besides, I'd already had some stuff defrosted for our dinner) :(

My fav is the good ol' Sugar & Lemon Juice :)

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Straight out of a packet (just add water says Fanny Craddock) and shaboom there they are . Narrowly avoiding the ceiling and with sugar and lemon....and that was nice :p

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
I didn't had pancakes but had crepes. It's somehow different of course. But I really enjoy crepes with chocolate and banana. :cool: Or chocolate with condensed milk :cool: or cinnamon with condensed milk :cool: or strawberry jam with whipped cream :cool: or pear with chocolate :cool: or pear with caramel syrup. :cool:

[email protected], I need to get something t eat! :eek:

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
I had something like 10 crepes. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts