Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, wonder if anyone has heard of this before.

MY '99 GTV came with a Panasonic front loading radio/CD player with removable face (DFX355), it might have been fitted to the car when it was new so it's a bit ancient.

Since last week no buttons on the face panel work apart from on and off. So it plays the radio station it was last set to or a CD but with no control on volume or track number etc. One of the contacts on the HU is a little bent but has been like so for years, and if that one contact was responsible for the face panel buttons I'd not expect the on/off button to work, but it does. It also has a remote control which I've tried and it's exactly the same: nothing works bar on/off. I've tried pushing the face panel harder onto the HU and tried the buttons but nothing happens.

The whole ICE side of things in my car needs ripping out and sorting properly, but right now I need to wait before sorting it, so if anyone has any thoughts on what the issue is or any ways around it I'd appreciate your help!

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
from a quick google search, that model appears to have a flip down face (or similar), right? as such, i presume it has a 'ribbon cable' connecting the back of the face to the main unit.

in any unit with such a connection (incl alpine, pioneer, etc), they are notorious for breaking over time. repeated bending, from normal use, is the problem. so i suspect the ribbon is damaged.

in case it's not, it's worth cleaning all the terminals between the face and the main unit, and if there's a 'reset button', use it.

if it's the ribbon, you can have it repaired, but whether it's worth it...or whether you upgrade the headunit.

:)

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi shiny_car, thanks for the thoughts. It is indeed a 'face off' front and the it flips downwards when connected to load CDs. It doesn't have a ribbon cable (if I understand what that is correctly) but a male 'block' on the back with 14 copper contacts that fits into the female connector of the main unit. The main unit has a button that gets depressed when the face is attached; I can manually press that button in to eject a CD even with the face off.

I haven't attempted to clean the contacts so will do that now, and your post has got me thinking about that button on the main unit, so I'll check that and see if that's moving/working normally.

I've had a look for a reset switch on the face, nothing there at all, so I'll have a look at the main unit in case one is there. Will let you know if I get lucky, but I fear this stereo is at the end of its life :(

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, cleaned the contacts, searched for a reset switch: no luck, checked out as much else as I could, still no joy... THEN.... I saw one particular button on the face was stuck in, and I thought that could well be the issue. It took a while to prise out but once out I tried the other buttons and it's working perfectly again! Really thought I'd need a new stereo, so very happy it's back working again and I once again have the cloice of Alfa V6 FM or the stereo :lol:

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
excellent! glad it's fixed.

:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts