Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
when I bought my 147 it already had a dent in the tailgate, it's pretty shallow and about 3 inches long and i'm trying to find the cheapest but best way of getting it fixed as it bugs me.

Paintless dent removal, is this any good or is it an excuse to withdraw cash from our wallets. I know the best option is to fill & paint but if this technique is any good I might give it a go.

Has anyone here used Paintless dent removal, if so can you post pics and let us know who you used etc.

I'm in North West London - does anyone know of a quality repairer near here?

Thanks Guys and Gals

·
Registered
337 Posts
I seen it being done on tv once and it looked a good job.but what i would say is that the paint was"nt broken and the dent was in the middle of the door.

·
Registered
246 Posts
My wife has collected so many dents in my cars that I did a google search on dent removal and found this site. This guy says you just run dry ice (frozen CO2) over the dent, on a hot day or heat the dent with a hair dryer first. The mild steel will shrink and pull the dent out. I have not tried it yet as it sounds to good to be true.

Dent Removal Technique (Technology & Cars: Routine Maintenance For Cars)

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
My wife has collected so many dents in my cars that I did a google search on dent removal and found this site. This guy says you just run dry ice (frozen CO2) over the dent, on a hot day or heat the dent with a hair dryer first. The mild steel will shrink and pull the dent out. I have not tried it yet as it sounds to good to be true.

I was considering trying this the other day. I found other sites that debunked it though, so I resorted to old-fashioned methods:

YouTube - There's a dent

:cheese:

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

That dry ice looked impressive now when Tesco starts selling it by the kilo I might start giving the missus driving lessons

·
Registered
2 Posts
I tried that method in a dent on the driver´s door and the results were simply dissapointing...i haven´t changed a bit.
I talked with the mecanics at alfa and it will cost me 150€ to fix that.
Although i´m waiting for an opinion about paintless dent removal. When i´ll have news i´ll post it.
Cheers.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Bodywork and paintwork re-finishing are skills which need plenty of training and time to perfect. The PDR massaging techniques are very effective for minor damage but deep metal stretching, creases and so on require real panel shop skills. A lot has changed overtime with motor vehicle repair methodology, but a lot of the basic techniques still hold true.:):

1 - 9 of 9 Posts